BOSTON:- A great Historic and interesting City.


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.371, -71.1139

HISTORY

The first settlers of Boston arrived in 1630 (750 colonist) and named the settlement after Boston in Lancashire. The town quickly developed and was almost ignored by Britain until around 1660 when Charles II took control of the New England Colonies. Merchants were then forced to trade exclusively with Britain but smuggling was rife. The colonists were outraged by unfair taxation (without representation) and keen to establish their own rule but Britain's objective was to extract as much money as possible out of the Colony. In a
nutshell things came to a head with events such The Boston Tea Party (where a load of tea and British Sailors were thrown into the harbour) , Boston Massacre and The Battle of Bunker Hill. This heralded the start of the American Revolution and culminated in the Declaration of Independence on the 4th July 1776. All good stuff and makes you wonder if the situation had been better handled by HQ back in "Blighty" America could still be part of the UK. Somehow I doubt it! As you can tell I was good at history.....

FOOD AND CULTURE

Boston is smart, sophisticated, intellectual and culturally diverse City. Fabulous historic buildings abound. Dickensian streets (with real gas lamps) co-exist in harmony alongside modern office buildings. It is a real shoppers paradise with interesting boutiques and vibrant high quality markets (QUINCY MARKET)

Boston is situated on the Charles River as well as being a major Sea Port. Consequently you are never far from water and of course fantastic seafood! Food is a religion and the array and range of restaurants are staggering. We enjoyed plates of deep fried shrimp, calamari as well as the unique and spicy Afghani food at the aptly named "Helmand" Restaurant in Cambridge.

SATURDAY
CITY TOUR THE CHARLES RIVER CRUISE

0915; Candace arrives dead on time and caught Cathy still "getting ready".

Being a Saturday are whisked in Candace's sporty BMW 325 XI through the City and begin the day at Dunkin' Donuts in the mall.

A superb trolly bus ride around the City awaits starting at the CambridgeSide Galleria and taking us past all the major points of interest.

Our driver Joseph ( a sort of "Woody Allenesque"figure) was a great driver/guide who used a mix of dry wit and knowledge to great advantage. He was replaced half way round by the effervescent "Molly"......who with a "riddle me this" and an "isn't it cool to know" we soaked up more facts about this amazing City.

Various poker faced touristy types got on and got off the bus round the circuit not even bothering to thank our superb drivers.

By this time the blister on my big toe (the size of a cup cake in Manhattan) had "popped" and I was ready for the next stage of Candace's battle plan........a 4 mile....9000 step walk around the City. Only sustained by a solitary Bagel we were ready for food. Quincy Market is a converted historic building full of character but also full of every food stall you can imagine. Clutching Pizza we sit on the steps outside and I manage to roll a "spicy Italian meat ball" down my shorts......cool.

Pressing on we walk through manicured parks, upscale shopping streets and eventually end up back at our starting point ....the mall where we unceremoniously get ready for the superb sunset cruise up the Charles River sipping wine and Samuel Adams Beer.

Surely there is no better way of seeing a city ......we cruised passed historic boat houses (similar to those on The Thames) and impressive cityscape. Our attention was soon drawn to the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) buildings that spread out along the river. MIT is a leader in computer, electronic and nuclear technologies. It is noteworthy to mention we were accompanied by a "bevy" of Boston beauties on some sort of hen night one of which had award winning legs capable of doing battle with the best of Eastern Europe. I confess didn't spot them myself and I must stress that they they had to be pointed out to me.........

After a massive days sightseeing we were ready for a blow out (up?) meal. We had been anticipating the Afghani meal for weeks. Candace had warned us about over ordering but totally ignoring her advice we tucked into Mantwo and Challow ....Homemade Afghan ravioli filled with leeks. Served on yogurt and topped with ground beef and mint as well as pastry shell filled with onions and beef. Served on yogurt and topped with carrots, yellow split peas and beef sauce. Aushak ......Afghan ravioli filled with leeks. Served on yogurt and topped with ground beef and mint. + other delicacies.
The food is hot and tasty and I spent a restless night 0915 quaffing water and dream Afghani dreams!

CAPE COD - Sunday

Sunday: 0700hrs. I have agreed to buy Bagels at Au Bon Pain just across from our Hotel. Entering the shop full of confidence from my NYC breakfast debacle I approach the Bagel rack with confidence. Fumbling the tongs bagels fly and I have to be to assisted. Then at checkout I realise I have forgotten the iced coffee for Candace. Proudly, I return to the check out with a beaker of tepid coffee and no ice........

Candace had pulled out all the stops and arranged a boat trip to PROVINCE TOWN better known as "P-TOWN" at the tip of Cape Code. The early start enabled us to catch the high speed ferry and some 1 hour 30 mins later we arrived at the beautiful and historic resort.

The crossing was billed as "calm" but as I have the sea legs that are capable of being knocked of balance by looking at a pond in a strong wind, green gills appeared without warning and I went "on deck" for some air pleased to note land was in sight......

Cape Cod architecture is unique and is typified by small wooden buildings with verandahs and little shutters. P-TOWN is a liberal and laid back resort with something for everyone. An eclectic mix of people stroll up and down the pretty Main Street taking in the heady atmosphere. Couples of every persuasion stroll hand in hand.
Lumberjack types walking labradoodles abound as well as chic Bostonians.

Fab restaurants and shops everywhere.....what a great day! We scoff down a huge plate of deep fried seafood and later on sample perhaps the best ice cream on the planet. Cathy even manages to find two carriers for the 4 cushions purchased the day before.....a shopping mission had been fulfilled.

Stopping at a local estate agents office we notice that the price tag for a small studio apartment starts at nearly $300,000 and climbs to over $1,000,000 very very quickly.

The ferry back is full and rammed with tired folk who had obviously "burnt their candles at both ends over the weekend!!

OUR LAST DAY!

Monday 21st July. We awake late after another wonderful meal in a trendy and sophisticated Harvard Restaurant called Alden & Harlow.

Located on the lower ground floor we entered a spacious "cool" world inhabited by "designer locals" tucking into superb dishes such as:-

SLOW ROASTED BEEF NECK with Parsnips, Vinegar, Radishes and BURRATA, ENGLISH PEA & RADISH with Mint & Peperoncino Honey, Garlic Crostino all washed down with excellent Reisling.

We decided to take it easy today (Monday) as we have now been on the go for over a week but ended up doing a four hour walk through the Historic City.....starting at South Street Station we check out destinations for our next visit as well as "woofing down"a great plate of Cajun food.

We then head for the Tea Party Musem. Strolling back into the City we revisit the vibrant Quincy Market and stroll past City Hall, The site of The Boston Massacre, Boston Common and then up to Beacon Hill (full of really old quaint historic houses).

Our stroll finished back at Longfellow Bridge (aka Salt and Pepper Bridge to the locals) and a quick subway ride back to Harvard Square. It was now time to return to our hotel - The Veritas - in Cambridge - a great boutique hotel with very helpful staff. A great base.

It is now 17:00. The "sands of time" are running through and we will soon be at Logon Airport to catch of Virgin Flight 12 (21:40) back to LHR.

Thank you Candace for our wonderful stay! We will return.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Get wrecked!0Get wrecked!0
Get wrecked!0

Cape Cod bar advert


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb