Fava Beans for Dinner


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Cambridge
November 2nd 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Robyn and I toured around Copley Square where there was a farmers market going on. We bought a genuine American apple pie to take to dinner tonight. Then we walked down Newbury Street and window-shopped for a while.

I persuaded Robyn to go with me to see the spot where the Boston Tea Party took place. We went down to the river but had a hard time finding it. Finally, after much searching online on my phone I realized that the museum that commemorated the event had burned up and was still under construction for another year. We saw where the burned up building was, so I guess that’s where all the tea took a swim too.

However, it was just our luck that a art project was going on right there, so our trip hadn’t been a total waste. We took photos of these strange floating ball people instead of the Boston Tea.

We made our way back into Boston and walked through Boston Public Garden, next to Boston Common. After walking a while we finally came across what we were looking for - the bronze sculpture of a mother duck with her ducklings following in a
Copley PlazaCopley PlazaCopley Plaza

A lively Farmers Market. Trees in full colour.
row. The sculpture commemorates the book Make Way For Ducklings. My little duck sat on mama duck and I took a picture of her.

We met up with Gustavo and went to Cambridge to see an old friend of ours from High School. David opened the door with a grin as big and welcoming as the Harvard Quad. Hugs all around and then up stairs to meet his housemate Jordan who was preparing dinner. We poured some wine and helped sweat peppers over the range. Gustavo and Dave bantered over medical schools and Robyn and I talked with Jordan about his travels in Morocco.

Jordan had prepared a delicious vegetarian meal, just as David had promised. We all sat down together with his housemates and had a communal meal. It was really lively and the conversation couldn’t be beat. It was intellectual and fun with a quirky sense of humor and a heavy dose of political and ethical science. We talked about everything - from the climate crisis and a friend of David’s who’s building a chasse to hook cars together, to an invention that cools liquids the way microwaves heat them, to who’s voting for who for president to gherkin pickles and how they glow with sodium when you run electricity through them (as the youtube video demonstrates). It was a good dinner with a lot of interesting people and I hope to keep in touch with them.

Robyn had heard lots of stories about our friend Dave, but she said upon leaving that he DID live up to the hype.

We went and danced the rest of the night at a club down the way with Gustavo’s friend Carry and her roommate who spilled cider on me and then said it was my fault for “wearing a cow”. Get lost.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb