Gunga:Feeding the rat - again....


Advertisement
Published: April 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Dear Family and Friends,

Although you haven't heard from me for a long time (Italy, winter, 2013), I have done some traveling. I visited Russia on a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg last Aug. and part of Sept. The journey continued with visits to lovely Estonia, and cold rainy Finland. To be truthful I chose not to blog because I was suspicious of e-mailing anything in and out of Russia. Hmmm, no trust in Putin and his minions- what a concept. I loved Estonia and will some day write a blog about the brave people who stood up to Russia by singing. Yes, you read that right. Google: singing revolution in Estonia and read a fantastic story.

I traveled on this journey with my oldest friend Pat Crowley Mitchell who lives in CT. We have been friends since we were 10 years old so that's a bit more than 60 years! We really had a wonderful journey especially the part she wanted to add on which was to Ireland. For years she had wanted to go the 'Crowley Clan Gathering'. She figured since we were already in Europe we could jump hop skip over to Cork and celebrate with Crowleys. So we did. We got up at 2 am in Helsinski to get to the airport by 3 for a 6 am flight to Frankfurt (the worst airport in the world as far as I'm concerned) and got a flight to Dublin. There we met her cousin by marriage (from Spokane, WA), Robbin, and took an express bus (Eireann) to Cork for the amazing sum of 35 Euros round trip. After a few days in Cork (where I reconnected with a cousin) we took a taxi to Kinsale where we proceeded to meet Crowleys from all over Ireland, England, Canada, and the US. Suffice it to say there was much singing, drinking, some dancing and, well, lots of merriment. The highlight was 'road bowling', held in some tiny town, right in the middle of the road. Where did you think road bowling might be played?

I also did multiple trips to Boston to visit family and extended one trip to Shelburne Falls, MA to visit friends. This was all followed by a trip in December (yikes!!! it is really cold for a Memphian in Massachusetts) for the wedding of a nephew. Now I am about to take off for England, Wales, and Scotland. Most people are aghast that I have never been to any of those countries. "Really?" they say, "You've been to Laos, Nicaragua, Bolivia, etc. and never to England?" It's all going according to plan. Harder countries when a bit younger, have more energy, and better knees and easier countries when a bit older and creakier.

A week or so ago I was thrilled to meet the champion bloggers Dave and Merry Jo Binkley. We have followed each others blogs for years. They were on a driving trip and passing through Memphis. We arranged a meeting at their hotel where Merry Jo valiantly tried to teach me how to put photos on my blog. I will try and you'll know if I am successful. I am a very slow student where technology is involved. We then proceeded to the fun part of the evening for Memphis Bar-B-Que at Corky's. There are many, many Bar-B-Que places in Memphis but I rate Corky's as #1. It was such a thrill to meet them. The blogging community is really amazing. For those who have just joined me you can go to the travelblog.org site and click on any country in the world that you may be interested in and read fantastic stories from travelers young and old- well, mostly young.

Mo Antoine, a mountain climber, described his need to travel as an addiction and called it "feeding the rat." I have no other way to explain my love for travel to non travelers other than to say it is MY addiction. I am trying to write up some of my travel stories and experiences. Along the way I have delved into my origins as a traveler, starting at age 4, with the first trip I can remember to Quebec, Canada. It still puzzles me why I feel the need to always have at least one more trip planned and place the details in a shiny black folder in my office labeled 'TRIPS'. If anyone cares to share some of their travel addictions it might be fun to have that as a chapter in my book. By the way, next trip is to Brazil in October.

Keep in touch by adding a comment whenever the urge moves you. It is always fun to hear from you.

Carolyn/ Gunga

Advertisement



23rd April 2014

Thailand & VietNam
Carolyn, Carole and I just got back from the OAT Siam to Saigon trip. We spent two weeks in Thailand and two weeks in VietNam. It was a wonderful trip and we had a great time. Happy to hear you are still traveling.
23rd April 2014

Oh goody! Looking forward to reading about your next adventure(s). Always entertaining and I always learn something that I didn't know. Happy traveling!
23rd April 2014

You Go Girl!!!
Carolyn--I can't believe I have been somewhere before you!! Loved, loved England and hope you have as much fun there as I did. Changing of the Guards--a MUST SEE, Kensington Palace, and if you can work it in go see Warwick Castle. Side trip to Oxford and Saulsberry were also favorites. So much history and lots to see and do. Make sure you have a true English tea while you are there. Have not made it to Wales or Scotland. Still on my "to do list". We are in the process of planning our next cruise. Stops in Italy, Greece and Spain. Fall 2015 can't come soon enough. We are finally going to celebrate Martha's retirement with this cruise. She always said her retirement party would be on a cruise ship going somewhere. We spent Easter Sunday with some of our travel buddies talking about some of our trips and the funny happenings and wonderful sights we have seen. Brought back lots of memories. Will have to share some of them for your book. Expect an autographed copy of the book when it is published. Have a wonderful trip and I will look forward to hearing about all your adventures!!!
23rd April 2014

Enjoyed you blogs
Carolyn, just to let you know that I enjoy reading all about your travels. Keep up the traveling
23rd April 2014

Carolyn i just loved your post. it was so amusing and worth reading, and the way you described your journey and your trips to your friends and the adventures you did (all those mountain climbing and bbq things). it was lovvvvely.. and that's all i can say. thanks for sharing :) www.malaysiastory.com
23rd April 2014

Travels
Always a grand idea to have one or two trips planned so you have something to look forward to. Have you tried to load any photos yet? Did you try and it didn't work? I'm happy to answer any questions. Loved meeting you. Loved the BBQ. Eagerly awaiting your blogs....with photos. Travel addictions.... travel is indeed our addiction. Non-travelers will always be puzzled by it and that is ok. We love new places, people and experiences. We thrive on change. We embrace being in a country where we don't know the language and rely on expressions, hand gestures and a universal language to communicate. We've never met a stranger. We love moving around the U.S. also. So enjoy England, Wales and Scotland. Happy travels.
24th April 2014

Great adventures!
Merry Jo sent me a link to your blog, and I really enjoyed reading it! Great stories! I'm also horrible with technology, but love showing off my photos. Somehow, I imagine you've got a good eye for photos, and your blog will be dynamite with images of these amazing places you've visited. Once you get the hang of uploading, it's pretty easy, and there might be a place in the TB forums that tells how to upload. Good luck with that, and happy travels!
30th April 2014

Thanks
Welcome! Sorry to say but I've had a devil of a time trying to get wifi connected and trying to find time to blog. Photos are still a dream but may not be a reality for this rushed trip. Stay tuned - I promised Merry Jo I'd try to figure it out but it may not happen until after I get home. After this trip I am spend in time in MA with friends and family so it may not happen till late May Carolyn (Gunga)
2nd May 2014

We have the same plan...!
...to travel through Asia and the 'harder' countries first and leave Britain, Canada and the US until later. Merry Jo has been talking about your blogs, and I look forward to following your adventures of feeding the rat. Safe travels. :)

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb