Memorial Day in Boston


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The population was out in force today to help celebrate Memorial Day and remember all the lost lives whilst serving for the US and indeed for Western democracy. Many Americans are still serving in current global hotspots and everyday they put themselves in danger so we can maintain our way of life. I certainly have immense respect for the sacrifice they make for the rest of us.

I went for a walk around Boston harbour this morning and found some expensive condos just south of the main ferry wharves. I then walked across an old abandoned bridge which must have carried trains or cars out to the piers near the Boston World Trade Center. There wasn't much out that way besides some piers, new condos and a few restaurants. The Boston fishing pier is also located out there but there was no activity there today. I am assuming that would be a hive of activity when all the fishing boats are coming in and trucks are making deliveries.

After walking back, it was time for brunch and I went to dine at Legal Seafood on the harbour wharf. I was tempted to get another fresh boiled live lobster but opted for a half dozen of oysters and a grilled mix plate of 3 types of fish, prawns and scallops. The oysters were really fresh and the different varieties were pretty distinct from each other. With some garlic relish, hot sauce and pepper I was regretting not buying a full dozen! The mixed grill plate was also fantastic as the seafood was cooked perfectly. It is easy to over cook seafood or underdone but this whole plate was perfect.

My next point of call was Copley Square which is bordered on one side by Newbury Street which is Boston's premier shopping strip full of boutique stores. There were also some great looking cafes around as well. There was also an interlinked mall on the other side of Copley Square which ends up linking up with the Prudential Centre. As far as malls go, this one was bright and spacious and would be a pleasant shopping experience.

I returned to Faneuil Hall to pick up some souvenirs and enjoy some more street performers. There was a young lass playing keyboard and singing and she wasn't bad at all with a nice full range voice.

Boston is a nice city to live and probably bring up a family with it's less hectic lifestyle compared to NYC and world class learning institutes. It also has heaps of parks and a decent public transport system which I believe makes it a very livable city. I hear the winters can be bitterly cold but that seems standard for being located this far north. Did I mention the great local seafood?


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

BostonBoston
Boston

3 types of oysters


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb