On the move


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The story so far:
The original plan was to take the all day bus from Boston to Cleveland, see snowy up-state New York. But I've changed my mind and in order to save some time and for a bunch of other reasons, decided to take the night bus on Wednesday evening. Alas, the weather, which was perfect since I've arrived, changed and a snow storm on the east coast stopped all bus services out of Boston. They told me on the phone, and in the bus terminal, to check with them again at 6am Thursday, then they will know if the 7:15 bus will be leaving as planned.
Ok, one more evening in Boston spent mostly with me running around snowy Boston to get the key back to the flat I was staying in from Yotam, sharing with him a nice special Samuel Adams beer on the way.
Went to sleep early.

Slept uneasily. Got up a few times over the night. Finally awake at 5:20. Slow morning routine, still not sure if the bus will even go.
The seconds tick slowly. Finally, 6:01. Calling the local bus company desk.
Busy.
Damn.

Some more packing, getting half dressed.
Still Busy.
Calling the 1-800 number - still same message form yesterday - no buses.
Hmmm.
Weather outside seems better, white but not snowing anymore.
Calling the local desk again.
Still busy but now get an automated voice message from phone company that the credit on my prepaid card is almost over.
6:13.
Double damn.

The cheerful recorded voice suggests calling some number to top up my time on the card.
I do.
After some number pressing, the machine tells me my credit card is not accepted. Transfers me to a live operator.
Triple damn.

Overly nice operator tries to help me. Impressive that he already have all the information I've provided to the machine earlier. Still he asks me if I want 25$ instead of 10$. I say no (wait, wasn't this my original mistake?). Still he makes me spell my name and give out billing addressed and phone numbers.
He can't confirm me. Pass me on to a "Transactions Specialist".
6:24.
Lost count of how many damns. If I want any chance of going to Cleveland today, I HAVE to get out.

While waiting I'm finishing packing and dressing.
Transaction Specialist on the line. Again has all previous information. Again tries to confirm me. Again all fails. Turns out having too many phone numbers and addresses back home, while trying to related all that to a by-the-book American, doesn't help.
He suggests calling my bank back home.
I say ok and leave the flat.

On the way to the subway station, walking in the snow, trolley in one hand, cell phone in the other, nice Israeli girl from Leumi joins us on the line. I explain the problem in Hebrew. We switch to English and try to confirm. A lot easier when I don’t have to spell everything. We succeed! I thank the girl and the guy while reaching the subway station.
I call the bus company.
Busy.
6:36.
DAMN. What the hell was all the credit card crap for, anyway?!

Cab waiting next to train station. Quick thought, decides against. Subway trains don't stop in traffic. Down below have no signal. I give up. I'll head to the station and hope for the best.
Train arrives. It will take me all the way to South Station, where the bus terminal is. I get off after one stop - have to leave the key to Yotam.

Running to the building he works in. To early, no one at the front desk. Running to the main building of his institute. Nice guard there. Half a minute conversing on the intercom makes me realize the door is unlocked. Goes in, gives him the key and spell the full name of Yotam. "Thank you, have a nice day". Back running to the subway station.
6:50.

Train arrives after what felt like ages but was just 5 minutes.
On the way to South Station.
First stop. Second stop. Third stop. How can a train go so slowly??
South Station!
7:02.

Running to the Bus terminal, right next to the train station.
Stopping.
Out of strength.
Walking briskly to the Bus Terminal.
7:08.

Two people in line, everything seems to be working.
Waiting.
7:10.

My turn. Receptionist says all bus are going, giving me my bus ticket and directs me to gate 8. I hurry on.
Gate 8. About says bus leaves in 7:10. WHERE IS THE FREAKING BUS?!?
Oh, there it is, next lane.
Bus driver accepts my ticket, I board the bus.
7:13.

I'm on the bus to Albany, first stop on the way to Cleveland.
Damn, I'm hungry.

Epilog: I write this sitting on that first bus. There are power sockets on the bus, and wifi. Glad I bought lots of water and some Pringles yesterday evening in the seven eleven, but I still hope I can get some breakfast and a cup of tea in Albany.
All in all, I got to see New England and Up-State New York amazingly covered in snow on a nice sunny day (pictures later), as my original plan was. Life is interesting and complicated and from the place I'm sitting in right now, also white and beautiful.
Have a wonderful life, everybody!

Advertisement



11th February 2010

It's amazing that..
That it is much better to be in Upstate NY now than more south like DC... Waiting for the pictures!

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb