Walking the Streets of Boston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
September 22nd 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Boston Financial DistrictBoston Financial DistrictBoston Financial District

A great view of the busy financial part of Boston. Not touristy but some great views.

Tuesday - 22nd September



Boston is fantastic - it really is everything you could want in a great city and both of us already feel we made a great choice coming on Honeymoon here. The weather is great (about 22), the parks look stunning and thrown into that is an amazing and vibrant city that is very busy and full of history.

Having recovered from our flights, we had a lazy morning in our hotel room before heading out to just have a look about the area for a few hours and pick up the tickets for the American Football game between the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons that we are attending on Sunday afternoon.

We walked our way up through Theatre District and into Chinatown, stopping at a McDonalds to grab a Hash Brown as Kay was moaning she was hungry! We carried on up through the heart of Boston into Downtown Crossing until we reached Atlantic Avenue and the financial part of the district, stopping in a Borders book store to browse for a while. We looked about the financial district which is awesome, very quiet but stunningly nice with a real mix of big corporate buildings and leafy green parks which will soon bear the nature of Autumn, and already the leaves are starting to change but with the weather so nice, fall is arriving later this year than usual.

After a while we headed back into Boston Common where we visited the Frog Pond and Washington Monument. We carried on through town stopping to look at some local shops and buildings in trendy Newbury Street before heading down to the Prudential Centre which is the tallest building in Boston with a fantastic Skywalk restaurant that we hope to eat at later in our trip. Having walked for quite some time we felt hungry once more so headed to Regina's Pizzeria for a massive slice each - Americans don't so small!!!

We walked about the mall for a while, just browsing about before grabbing some groceries for the hotel and having fun trying to explain Travellers Cheques to a heavily tattooed Mexican woman who seemed to need Presidential acceptance to allow us to use them at the supermarket. We headed back to the hotel about 4pm, just to freshen up before heading back into town for dusk - going to Faneuil Hall
The Frog PondThe Frog PondThe Frog Pond

Us at the Frog pond in the middle of Boston city centre - but there was no frogs!!
(imagine Covent Garden) where there is really great shops and local restaurants. We quickly realised that we were not that hungry so ordered a 'Green Monster' ice cream between us that consisted of Mint Chocolate Ice Cream, Oreo Cookies, Fudge Swirls with snow-caps (chocolate drops with powdered sugar on top)!!! As you can see by the picture - again HUGE!!! That was a portion for one!

By this time it was night in Boston, the city coming alive with Harvard and MIT students taking full advantage of the City, hanging out of various pubs and bars. We headed back to the hotel, just to put our feet up and chill out after a busy day - tomorrow is going to be an even easier busier one as we tour the whole city!!

Nic and Kay x


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Faneuil HallFaneuil Hall
Faneuil Hall

Downtown Boston equivilant to Covent Garden
Downtown BostonDowntown Boston
Downtown Boston

The best of Both - Parks and City
Green Monster Ice-CreamGreen Monster Ice-Cream
Green Monster Ice-Cream

Yummy, Sickly and BIG!!


23rd September 2009

I want US portions!
Nice blog you guys, glad ur enjoying yourselves (well, it is ya honeymoon, so it is kinda expected that u should enjoy it!) The pics of the location are nice, but the best is by far the ice cream!!! But you havent taken pics of any other US sized portions for me to drool over!?!?! - sort this out. I expect some pics of giant pizza, humongous burgers, super-king-size fries, and some dino-size fried chicken! - the bigger the better!!! Or, are you not man enough to order proper sized portions?
25th September 2009

'Green Monsters'
Can you bring me back a Green Monster please...ooohh you're not talking about shrek...never mind.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb