Boston Part 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
September 14th 2009
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HarvardHarvardHarvard

Bit posher than my old school.
September 12th started with rain and so we did what Mark Twain advised and waited. Unfortunately he lied, it didn’t let up all day, so we decided to visit the MIT Museum in the morning. It was really interesting and covered scientific breakthroughs ranging from underwater vehicles, robotics and the part MIT played in the moon landings. The worrying aspect was that there was a computer in there that Chris had used at the start of his career. Age showing through again!

Caught the train out to the 'burbs and spent a great afternoon with a couple of friends. Amazing the difference moving a few miles out of Boston makes.

The next day, boy did it change, mid 20’s and everyone appeared on the streets. It was so hot Cambridge threw a Caribbean carnival. Had a nice walk around Harvard Sq and Yard in the morning, hoping some of that awesome intellect would rub off……………..nope. Oh well.

Rushed back as the carnival was due to start at noon and as it had been billed as a “mardi-gras” occasion we felt we couldn’t afford to miss it. Well 12.00 came and went, followed by 12.30, then 1.00 pm, but
CarnivalCarnivalCarnival

Colourful lady leading the parade.
in authentic, laid-back, Caribbean style it finally got under way about 2. But we did get to shake hands with the mayor - who obviously mistook us for a couple of votes. The procession started with people of all shapes, sizes, ages and sex sporting feathers and outrageously colourful outfits, only the Mount Gay was missing.

We then wandered off to check out the rebuilt waterfront, beautiful. It’s certainly gone up market since they turned it into the world’s largest cuppa. Million pound boats and apartments now stand where the factories used to.

Summing up, a great start to the trip and with the changing weather you can see why it’s ‘New England’.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

CarnivalCarnival
Carnival

Aztecs in Cambridge!!
CarnivalCarnival
Carnival

Awesome detail in some of the costumes.
Shrunken HeadShrunken Head
Shrunken Head

Even that Caribbean pastime made it's way into the costumes.
Boston HarbourBoston Harbour
Boston Harbour

Changed a bit since the Tea Party.
HarboursideHarbourside
Harbourside

Admiring the view, and sun at last.


14th September 2009

Chris, I didn't realise that MIT had one of Babbage’s Difference Engines on display... :)
15th September 2009

Cheeky Monkey
Oooh been googling what a real computer is then youngster....
15th September 2009

boston
looks fantastic , glad sun has come, out why arn't you both in frilly costumes , food sounds amazing xx

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb