Tara Donovan Exhibit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
November 17th 2008
Published: November 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

If you are in the neighborhood, as in anything less than 3000 miles, try to see the Tara Donovan show at the Boston ICA. It is over in mid Dec. 2008. My qualifications as an art critic are minimal - I carved a pumpkin once that received some attention but didn't quite make it to the finals - so you may not find yourself as captivated as I was but...

We went to the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston (ICA). Nice new building right on Boston harbor. As we walked into the first gallery I started to grin, and at the next to laugh out loud... I've been told this is not one's typical reaction to 'delight' and 'amazement' but with me it is usually a very good sign. The first gallery sets the stage. The walls are bare. On the floor, three cubes, each about 3 feet on a side. One is made of toothpicks, all toothpicks, one pins, straight pins, and the other broken glass. The simplicity combined with quantity was startling and delightful. There were 6 or 7 galleries and each was stunning. Paper plates, buttons, scotch tape and plastic cups, common everyday items used in extraordinary ways.

In one gallery I watched others walk in, stop and stare at the wall that seemed to shimmer and undulate. Many immediately developed a quizzical look and I could just see their brains trying to take in the big picture while pondering the nature of the components pieces. After a moment you just have to walk up and look carefully at the surface, because at this point in the gallery sequence, you know it is something simple. And it was but oh, so well done. So, if your Learjet is itchy for a jaunt or you are just walking by... stop in, it is worth the extra effort.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb