A man may stand there and put all America behind him


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
July 28th 2008
Published: August 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cape Cod 2008


Proudly AmericanProudly AmericanProudly American

Faneuil Hall Post Office ornament - the fourth busiest Post Office in the United States according to the post master.

A man may stand there and put all America behind him


-- Transcendentalist writer Henry David Thoreau, about Cape Cod

I can recall maybe around six or seven times in my life when I have suffered from somewhat severe sunburn; but this particular time is different for several reasons. One, it is a cheerful reminiscence of a perfect and relaxing weekend, chillaxing - chill and relaxing at the beach by experiencing the Atlantic with all of my senses, in addition to some care-free napping, is the way to enjoy a warm summer day. It is definitely a nice escape from the daily grind of professional, stressful work behind desk, working on AutoCAD.

Two, I’m proud of the fact that I have become a part of the prominent, long tradition of the New England summer vacation on the prestigious Cape Cod, an arm-shaped Massachusetts peninsula located not far from Boston. And lastly, but most importantly, I have not planned this spontaneous treat, and I have met many great people along the way.

We are staying at a Mid-Cape town of West Dennis, a quiet but great community where some of the most prominent residents from all around New England have built their summer homes. Only a one hour drive
Massachusetts State CapitolMassachusetts State CapitolMassachusetts State Capitol

I like something shiny ...
from Boston city center (not counting the weekend traffic though), the Cape, as New Englanders would call it, naturally becomes a jewel of the comfortable Northeast summer culture, with some 550+ miles of pristine shorelines to choose from. Fortunately, some of the shorelines are protected, like the Cape Cod National Shore, so the impact of human use on the Cape is minimized.

Nights at the Cape are amazing. Although I expected a couple of typical New England things, such as eating some excellent Clam Chowder and a Scallop dinner at a laid-back local restaurant/bar called Wooden Shoe, lack of city development also means brighter stars in the sky. Sitting by the fire, generated by broken plywood and crumples of newspaper in my buddy Joe’s summer house's backyard, we are discussing the north sky constellation, lead by our new French friend, Lauren, who has outstanding astronomy and mythology knowledge. Just like that, I start to learn about le Grand Ours - the Big Bear, known to us as The Big Dipper. We are enjoying Joe’s stories about his mishaps on his last visit to Key West, which sounds more like a sitcom episode of 'Seinfeld'.

Boston itself hasn’t changed
Cape CodCape CodCape Cod

A nice Saturday at the Cape, a pastime of New England long tradition.
a bit since the last time I visited a couple years back. One can’t help but feeling a little more patriotic when moseying around Boston. It is littered with historical places from US History and significant names from Revolutionary America, such as Samuel Adams (the person that is, not the beer!), James Otis, Paul Revere and John Hancock, to name a few.

A citizenship oath ceremony was taking place at historic Faneuil Hall when I was planning on going there on my first day in Boston, an interesting concept and place to experience patriotism. So instead, I had a thorough visit on my second day - and after seeing a board advertising a Blood Drive that day at the Faneuil Hall marketplace, I am glad that I did my part and decided to participate by donating blood there.

Boston has transformed itself into a sport cult - literally, almost every other person in Boston has some kind of Boston professional sport team’s logo on their clothing, mostly the MLB Boston Red Sox and NBA Boston Celtics (and some NFL New England Patriots). In professional baseball, the Red Sox, for the first time, are the 2007 World Series Champions;
Red SoxRed SoxRed Sox

A crazy cult of Red Sox - wear something 'Red Sox' from tip to toe.
Boston couldn't be prouder of the team. Game tickets are sold out long before the actual game day, and in some games, especially those with the rival, New York Yankees, it is almost impossible to acquire a ticket at a reasonable price.

Boston is one of the oldest established cities in North America, and has claimed many American firsts - the first public park (Boston Common, 1634), the first public library (Boston Public Library, 1653), the first public beach (Revere Beach, 1896), the oldest current Major League Baseball stadium (Fenway Park, 1912), the birthplace of the Christmas Carol ‘O Little Town of Bethlehem’ (Trinity Church, 1867), and too many more to list on this blog.

On my fourth day in Boston, I managed to meet my high school friend, Yulia, who is pursuing her Master's degree at one of the most prestigious institutions in the world - the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is very interesting to tour the campus with a current MIT student. I have been exposed to the MIT Sailing Club (which she is actively involved with), the notorious pranksters, MIT Hacks (there are excellent displays at Frank Gehri's Stata Center), and Mr. F.P. Salvucci
MIT Great DomeMIT Great DomeMIT Great Dome

The landmark of MIT Campus - target for many Hacks pranks.
(a famous civil engineer who was in charge of the controversial Big Dig project in Boston).

Nights in Boston are also interesting - we had the opportunity to hang out at two bars on two different nights. The first night's bar was called Charlie's Kitchen, a dimly-lit but lively bar where I recalled scenes from 'Good Will Hunting', due to the bar's atmosphere and the number of Harvard students all around us. The second night's bar was the White Horse. It was predominantly occupied by Boston University students (unfortunately, our buddy Josh was a little too tipsy and got kicked out off the bar - so it wasn't exactly a nice end to our day).

Having said that, Boston always lives up to my expectations, and I can't wait to experience more of New England.





Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Custom House towerCustom House tower
Custom House tower

A prime example of Boston's Greek Revival style, now is occupied by the Marriot Hotel
John Harvard, chillingJohn Harvard, chilling
John Harvard, chilling

Here's my buddy John Harvard at the Harvard Yard. Ask me for the three lies of this statue if you're interested.
Stata Center, MITStata Center, MIT
Stata Center, MIT

Worldly known architect Frank Gehri is playing with unusual shapes and structures, then compiled all of them into one unified building. Supposedly there are lots of problems discovered almost right after the building was completed.
The Freedom TrailThe Freedom Trail
The Freedom Trail

This 2.5 miles trail is connecting significant and historical spots of Boston.
Faneuil HallFaneuil Hall
Faneuil Hall

With Samuel Adams are proudly standing in front of it.
Grasshopper WeathervaneGrasshopper Weathervane
Grasshopper Weathervane

The original 1742 weathervane on top of Faneuil Hall.
Clam ChowderClam Chowder
Clam Chowder

One of the best dishes of New England.
Boston Public LibraryBoston Public Library
Boston Public Library

From its Renaissance Courtyard.
A Boston churchA Boston church
A Boston church

Boston is filled with interesting church, and I lost track on them.
Trinity Episcopal ChurchTrinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church

With John Hancock tower in the background.
Fenway ParkFenway Park
Fenway Park

Home of the Red Sox.
Red Sox fenceRed Sox fence
Red Sox fence

At the stadium.
Boston CommonBoston Common
Boston Common

The George Washington equistrian statue.
Swan BoatSwan Boat
Swan Boat

A pastime Boston at the Public Garden lake.
Old State HouseOld State House
Old State House

The contrast between old and new Boston.
SHAHHHKS!!SHAHHHKS!!
SHAHHHKS!!

This is how Bostonians would scream when they see some sharks in the water. New England Aquarium.
Chinatown GateChinatown Gate
Chinatown Gate

Boston has the third largest Chinatown in the United States, after San Francisco and New York City.
Samuel Adams' graveSamuel Adams' grave
Samuel Adams' grave

A tour at the Granary Burial Ground, talking about founding father Samuel Adams. The person, that is, not the beer!
Creepy tombstoneCreepy tombstone
Creepy tombstone

The three historical burial grounds in Boston are filled with these creepy tombstones. Many of them are dated back to the 1600s, untypical for America.
Couchsurfing BostonCouchsurfing Boston
Couchsurfing Boston

Another successful story of Couchsurfing! This time is from a Cambridge bar.


Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.1413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb