Saturday, November 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland
November 1st 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Annapolis today for Solomons Island Maryland about 7:30 am. The sun was still low in the sky but it was warm with very light breezes, out of the SW of course. Our course paralleled the main ship channel but a bit to starboard of it because the coast line is beautiful but lots of shallow areas. Just north of Solomons are some high sandy bluffs which were used for troop training during WWII. We came in through the more northern of Solomons Island’s 2 entrances to the Patuxent River. They are both shallow and narrow but well marked and easy to follow in daylight. Mill Creek opens off to the right immediately and Back Creek appears shortly thereafter. We are told that there are many anchorage areas in Mill Creek that are less crowded and quieter but he big advantage of this one is that just beyond the Holiday Inn and its marina is a Post Office, laundromat, liquor store, West Marine, a good Chinese restaurant and a very good food store which reminds me a little of Trader Joes’s from home.
Monday we went to a wonderful museum here, the Calvert County Marine Museum. It has it's own dinghy dock beside the restored screw pile lighthouse. Sheds with wonderful examples of old Chesapeake Bay watercraft, several restored sail and power workboats, river otters as well as the 2 story main building and beautiful grounds. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so no pictures. Don't miss it if you are in the area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb