Linoleum Redux


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pennsylvania Dutch?Pennsylvania Dutch?Pennsylvania Dutch?

Maybe we should keep it?
11:15 am Today we're starting on the linoleum under the plywood. Sort of forgot about that.

11:45 am Wow, its really stuck, coming off in chunks the size of my hand. Arrrgh.

3:15 am Erin and I spent the morning on linoleum, now its finally up. Suspense... should we rent the equipment?? Erin is making long lists of sanding belts and disks. She is disgusted that the people at Home Depot have never heard of the red pad that goes under the sanding disks.

6:30 Broke a blade on my little saw while cutting out a bad board.

8:15 pm The belt sander and edger are here...

9 pm We tried sanding with 16-grit -- a sandpaper covered with stones larger than your average wedding ring -- but it clogged up within about 6 feet. If we had, maybe 30 of them, it might work, but we only have 5, and we had to special-order those from Minnesota, so no go. We're back to hand-scraping.

By dumb luck, we found out that water dissolves the stuff better than adhesive remover or dry scraping. (And by dumb luck, I mean, a sponge getting left on the floor...)

9:45 pm Erin's having a lot of trouble with the machinery. The small wheel on the belt sander pushes the sander out of line when you back up, and the edger won't work unless you tip it. Guess she's spoiled by Pete's Hardwoods.

10:30 pm Damn, broke my scraper blade. Good thing I have one more.

10:35 pm #$%#& Dropped the extra blade in the sink and it split in half! I've never even broken one, much less 2 in 5 minutes!! Guess I'll use the half blade -- at least its sharp.

1:30 am Signing out -- So far, half of Rhea's room is done on 24 grit, and half of the kitchen is scrapred




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb