Ocean City Inlet? NOT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Ocean City
August 7th 2012
Published: August 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

250,000 marlin fishing families can't be wrong about Ocean City. They're all here enjoying the fishing tournament event of the year.

We came here on a 27 hour outside, night passage from Norfolk. It was one of those rock'n roll specials that make you wonder why on earth you ever thought boating was a sane choice for humans. At one point I thought of our crew as two gerbils and a mouse trapped in a jar, being shaken by an energetic godling, perhaps mad at his mother. Early on in the passage we were doing 7+ knots with only the main up, reefed 2 panels. The sail came down in case conditions got worse. They did and they didn't. Nice organized waves turned to compound, complex pounding swells of the grand-daddy version. They came in threes. Then you had a couple of hearbeats to regain course and maybe hit the head or get hit on the head, before the next bunch of bullies hit.

Those of you who know Frank, know that he is inadvertently writing a book about heaven. (He should know.) I mentioned to him in reference to his research that our trip was reminding of being asigned to hell, playiing twister through eternity.

And those of you who know both of us, know that we err on the extreme side of caution and risk taking as far as cruisers go, more interested in comfort and longevity than adventure or bragging rights to 'exploits'. We are not the daring do types, so our observations must be taken with that in mind.

We had never heard of Ocean Reef Inlet from any cruisers and we were excited to try something new.

The approach was long and rolly, the actual inlet was on a par with Fort Pierce on a very bad day, nav. markers were chock a block and anchorage almost nil. We did find an anchorage opposite Assateague island, after being warned off by local traffic.

The anchorage was divinely peaceful at night and morning brought a perfect surprise. Two herds of wild ponies on Assateague Island, staring across the water, while Ginger wondered how she could get over there and organize them. I had visited the amazing Assateague Island game and bird sanctuary a few times in my twenties and since then have longed to walk the pristine 40 mile beach, with elusive horses as companions. When I finally fulfill that dream I will try to find a way to bypass Ocean City at the north end.

After a good long sleep. a look at tide tables, a listen to NOAA weather and a major tidy up on the boat, we discovered that the grey water pump was totally toast and the laundry was reaching the one bag critical mark. Considring tides and tiredness, we decided to dingy to town, find West Marine, do the laundry and check weather and email at a marina, all part of a normal cruisers routine, right? Wrong!

This was not going to happen, not now, and probably not ever in Ocean City.

No dingy docks which means 'don't come here', $25 to tie up for 2 hours, no laundry for miles, and no wifi... "unless you are our guest". These are 'privately owned marinas'.

This is the first time in 3 years of cruising that we have encountered this type of stone wall of hospitality to cruisers. Now we know why it has never been recommended by experienced cruisers. Ocean City is touted as the #1 sports-fishing something or other. Perhaps we have missed something, like the municipal dock? So be it. We leave it to them.

So how am I blogging to you? Some nice person slipped me a code so I could check the weather to go back outside to Atlantic City, Manisquan and Sandy Hook. There is no other way out of here. I am standing outside a restaurant emailing on top of their sandwich board advertising. A woman just stopped and told me I look 'very professional'. Frank is holding the fort drinking 'Fat Tire' amber, eating crab nachos and guarding the dingy tethered to a really nice wooden ladder at the last dockside eatery before the bascule bridge.

Long story short, we're fine and nachos are waiting, so life is better than good. We're still grateful for all the great places and wonderful experiences at lots of other places... like say, Great Bridge! (Thanks Mayor. Glad you liked the blog. You city understand that cruisers spend money where they are welcomed. If and when the blog turns into a sea-faring butterfly, you will get an author's proof for you edification.) : )

Surely there will be wifi in Atlantic City?

Advertisement



8th August 2012

Ohhhh!
Yikes...not recommended, as I see/read it!
9th August 2012

Ocean City controlled by mafia?
I thought OC was for gamblers and hustlers. JW

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb