The Birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner


Advertisement
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Re-enactmentRe-enactmentRe-enactment

Of drills during War of 1812 days.
Had a meeting in Washington, DC and decided to stayover the weekend to explore and site see. Having been to Baltimore and the Inner Harbor several times in the past and with a weekend to see some sites, I decided to view some of the historical locals that I've previously overlooked.

Headed first for Fort McHenry which was the Fort which protected Port Baltimore for many years. It famously did so during the War of 1812 (fought from 1812-1815), so much so that it inspired Frances Scott Key to write the Star-Spangled Banner. As noted on the Fort McHenry site, "“O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,” a large red, white and blue banner? “Whose broad stripes and bright stars . . . were so gallantly streaming!” over the star-shaped Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore, September 13-14, 1814. The valiant defense of the fort by 1,000 dedicated Americans inspired Francis Scott Key to write “The Star-Spangled Banner.”" The Fort held strong during the War and it is felt that if it had fell the War would have been lost since this all occurred shortly after the burning of Washington, DC. The Fort is now a National Monument and Historic Shrine.

As luck would have it, the day I was there they were having re-enactments of drills from those war days. It was a very hot and muggy day and I so felt for the characters in their heavy, historically accurate uniforms. The Fort is very beautiful, perched on a hill with great walkways. They have a number of the original cannons and original buildings. There are now also walking and jogging trails and a park area. Several statues are also present and the grounds are very pretty. Port Baltimore/Baltimore Harbor was, and still remains, a very active Port. Next up...Baltimore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

OrpheusOrpheus
Orpheus

Very large statue located near entrance.
View of the Port AreaView of the Port Area
View of the Port Area

and still present cannons.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 108; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb