Day 6 - Acadia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
August 3rd 2017
Published: August 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Rick and Max left at 6 am to hike to the top of Cadillac Mountain. They stopped at Eagles Crag for breakfast. It was about a 4.5 mile hike. Maggie and Chrissy showered then drove to pick them up. The views from Cadillac are amazing. Afterward we parked in Bar Harbor (quite a challenge) checked out where to walk to Bar Island, then had lunch at 59 Cottage (at 59 Cottage St.) Then we walked to Bar Island. An hour and a half before and after low tide you can walk to Bar Island from Bar Harbor. The water level goes down 10 feet (according to a fellow traveler).

Went to Jordan Pond House for afternoon tea. Jordan Pond House is a historical location in the park which serves tea and popovers. We didn’t have tea, but we really enjoyed the flaky and doughy popovers! Saw one of the gate houses that are part of the carriage paths. They are 45 miles of non-paved roads for horses, bikers and hikers. Rockefeller was instrumental in the formation of Acadia, in building roads, bridges, the carriage roads and donating land to the park.

Returned to Thunder Hole after boys showered and we ate dinner. It was high tide and still not really splashing much. We thought it sounded like a toilet. We may return tomorrow a few hours before high tide.

Advertisement



6th August 2017

enjoying
I am really enjoying your blog. Places I've never been. Very interesting.
6th August 2017

Bar Harbor
One year, we rented the most beautiful house in Bar Harbor that overlooked the path to Bar Island. We crossed over several times and even witnessed several people get rescued when they left their return trip too late! Love Jordan Pond and those popovers. Did you walk around the pond? Sounds like you're having fun!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb