Day 5 - Acadia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
August 2nd 2017
Published: August 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

8/2 – Sorry for the technical difficulty. I hope people can see this post. As I said earlier, this is a new blog for us – the blog we used the past two years has closed down.



First thing this morning we stopped at the cutest little library in Seal Harbor to try to figure out this stupid blog situation. Then spent the rest of the morning today trying to figure out how to navigate Acadia and what we wanted to see. There is a bus system with multiple lines. There is a “park loop” road, from which most of the main attractions are, but not our campground, and you can only get on the road in 2 or 3 places. Mount Desert Island contains most of Acadia, but also has private land including Bar Harbor and other towns. Lastly, the park is non-contiguous and is spread over multiple islands. All of this made us confused. We drove through Bar Harbor which seemed very commercial, and was very crowded, then to the visitor center and were welcomed with crowds and long lines. We watched an intro movie to the park and the kids got their Junior Ranger badges. Then we took the bus to Sand Beach and hiked the beehive. See the warning sign – just what you want to see before a hike!! The beehive included several difficult passes, but we made it and enjoyed the view! Afterward we went to Thunder Hole, a place on the shore where there is a cave and water, in the right conditions, splashes up. Then we got back on the loop bus and went back to the visitor center, got in our car and drove to Northeast Harbor (not sure where it got its’ name as it is not north nor east) and had dinner at Colonel's (I had a delicious lobster and scallop bake), bought really overpriced groceries and adventured home in the dark, only getting lost once!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



3rd August 2017

yay
got it now! looks like a great adventure :)
3rd August 2017
Thunder Hole

Great trip
Love the pictures, how far of a drive for you all. Beautiful.
3rd August 2017

Warning!
Congratulations on hiking to the top of the Beehive! It looks like it was a great view :)

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb