New England Bible Church and heading to Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
August 14th 2016
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.5512, -70.0862

Editor's NOTE: Normally Glenn proof-read's my blog and does some major editing, however I am not asking him to do this for me, since he needs a break. So bear with me if there are misspelled words and the grammar is incorrect. Thanks for reading.

Also, I've changed the format for the most recent entry to be on top.

Sunday morning, we got up early to have breakfast with our A Candle in the Window family and their guest. We had yogurt and toast.

I slept very well during the night, down in the basement. Good to have a good night's sleep.

I had figured that there was a Greek Church just 10 minutes from the A Candle in the Window home, and then I had looked on line to find a Bible Church just 15 more minutes down the road.

We followed "Betsy" to Karen's church. Karen said the church service would be over with by 11:30am I believe. Karen got to church by 8:300am. We then took the freeway towards Boston to New England Bible Church. We were greeted by the pastor. Not very many people were there for the 9am SS class. There was a special missionary speaker that shared
during the SS hour. We decided not to stay for the church service, but just do the "singing part", then quietly leave before the missionary preached his sermon.

Before going into the SS class, pastor Tyler shared with us that the church sponsors a work in Guatemala. He directed us to the bulletin board that had pictures of teams that have been down to work in the past several years. The church supports Phil and Jennifer Wilson - our neighbors in las Cristalinas! What a small world. - no Big Family.

After making this connection, we talked with several other folks that had been down to Guatemala. Dave - the trooper was one of them.

After the 1/2 of the church service, Glenn and I left. We wanted to make sure Karen wasn't waiting on us. We did drive back to the Greek Orthodox church - stopping at Duncan Donuts to check wifi. Then we waited about 1/2 hour for Karen to walk out of church.
'
We immediately decided we needed to stop at Wal-mart to get some lunch supplies and then find a local park. Dad stayed in the RAV 4 and Karen and I purchased some salad, apples, pineapple and some
grilled chicken and bread.

We "googled" a local park. Drove there. It was a baseball diamond, and park without picnic table, however we made do with what we had. I made a chicken sandwich with spinach. We had chips and carrot sticks.

After the "picnic", we drove on up the Interstate 95. Once we crossed into Maine, we stopped to get brochures and also "potty break". One thing I did notice - there was "tons" of traffic coming the opposite direction. These folks were returning from their weekend get-a-way from Boston. I'm glad we were not traveling south.

As we drove along the interstate, we noticed Kennebunkport was near-by, so we decided to swing by there for 1/2 hour or so. This is the summer home residence for George W H Bush. Gary, Karen and I came here back in 1996 while Glenn still worked for AA. Cute little town. We stopped and Glenn and I got an ice cream cone, and Karen got some lemon-aid without the sugar. We walked around.

The temps were in the high 90's. Unbelievably, the weather has been unseasonably HOT -like in the 90's and today was no exception.

After "conquering" Kennebunkport, we got back in the RAV 4 and headed towards Henry and Vicki Coopers place near Chesterville, Maine. The Coopers served in Bolivia with us in the 80's and 90's. Their son, Ben and Gary were best of friends for years and years. Henry was SAMAIR pilot. They lived in Santa Cruz and out in San Ignacio also.

We did stop at a cemetery outside of their town to do a little box. We followed all the clues, but had not luck.

Once we arrived at the Coopers, we talked "a mile a minute", throwing out all the names of our former co-workers in Bolivia, mentioning how they were doing, when was the last time we saw them, etc. That was fun. We laughed and we honored each other in talking about how the Lord had lead us to this "time in our life". Vicki mentioned that it seemed "so long ago". And it was a different season in our lives.

Henry and Vicki both made homemade pizza for us. We ate out on the porch/deck and watched the sun set until the mosquitoes got more than we could handle. We enjoyed some ice-cream and fruit for dessert - and talked even more until around 10pm when it was time for us to say goodnight.

Karen slept upstairs in a twin bed, and Glenn and I slept downstairs in the basement. I slept very well. Did not get up at all during the night. And come to find out - it was a futon bed we slept on, I could not have guessed that. Very comfortable.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb