June 30 Chairback Gap Shelter, ME to Sidney Tappan Campsite, ME 11.7 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
July 25th 2009
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rain overnight was not real bad. The fly was wet, but everything else was dry. There ended up being 13 people at the shelter last night. By morning there were six tents pitched in the woods. We were up by 6 trying to pack inside the tent without getting wet. We managed well enough. Breakfast went smooth and the rain all but stopped by the time we were done. The trail went almost straight down this morning first thing. Then across a bog which we managed to cross without getting wet. The first climb was steep and long causing us the be wet from sweat early. CC shed her rain gear before we made the top and I got rid of my jacket at the same time. The sun did not make an appearance until afternoon. There was no rain, so even without the sun walking today was better than yesterday! It was 7.2 miles to the first shelter, we tried to make it by lunch time but didn't get there until 2:00. We saw plenty of southbounders and even got passed by our friend "Dubbs" who we last saw in PA when he passed us. After lunch we decided to try more miles. It was 1.8 miles to the next camping site and 7.2 to the next shelter. We started with a 1,000' climb up Gulf Hags Mtn the first mile. That took longer than we expected so the campsite was where we stopped. There is a trail maintenance crew based here this summer. Seven people working on the trail five days a week. They were good company for the evening. Tomorrow we will try to get a 17 mile day in.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb