28 June Leeman Brook Shelter, ME to Long Pond Stream Shelter, ME 12.1 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
July 25th 2009
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We had a good nights sleep without snoring, mice or rain. One of the guys was up by 5AM packing up and heading for breakfast in town. We got up at 5:30 and hit the trail by 6:45. The trail statred up as normal.

Bug levels are up with all the standing water. Chemical Warfare is in full swing. Problem being sweat and rain washing the stuff off and the bugs knowing just where to attack! CC has historicaly not had problems with mosquitos, now they treat her like a delicasy. She is constantly harassed by the flying dentures. We saw some great scenery this morning. Little Wilson Falls were fantastic, at 60' they are one of the tallest on the AT. Moss covered the ground like fine plush carpet. Pines and hardwoods alike also were wrapped in moss. It looked like we had been transported to Washington state it was so green today.

The three "Rs" slowed us down today. Rocks, Roots and Rivers. Rocks as they appear to be slate of some sort, when wet it is slick as ice. Because of the stone roots appear to run above ground more than below, making foot placement
slow and hard. Rivers, as there are few bridges out here and we must ford them. Today we forded four times. The first one was before lunch. The rain had not started and we took off our boots and gaiters then wore our "Crocks" in the water. The river was 50' or so across and had a rope stretched from bank to bank for safety. Problem being it was just a little high for the vertically challanged ones. I went first pulling the rope down so CC could grab hold. All went fine until the final four feet. CC thought she did not need the rope and
let go. At the same time one of her shoes came off and she slipped on the slick rocks. I chased her shoe down the river for about 30' before bringing the wayward traveler home. By the time I made it back to the crossing site CC was on the bank safe and sound. River crossing with full packs is not easy and you shouldn't try it at home boys and girls.

After our noon break we headed back up the trail to our shelter for the night. About an hour into the walk the skys opened up and the rain came down. In less than 15 minutes we were soaked again! This time we know we have dry cloths waiting seven days away so it isn't too bad. The next three fords were done with our boots still on. No need to repeat ford #1 and if they are already soaked. Whats a little more water? We smelled campfire smoke almost a mile out from the shelter. I was looking forward to a fire I did not have to start. We arrived at the shelter at 3:45PM. The miles are harder to do here so our day is longer time wise. There indeed were people here and the fire was nice. Both are southbound but not hiking with each other. The guy has real issues with his feet. His shoes are turning them to hamburger. The woman doesn't look any worse for the wear of the 100 mile wilderness.

Tomorrow will be a 10.9 mile day as there are a few good sized mountains to go over. Tuesday will be about the same and then on Wednesday the weather and terrain are supposed to get better.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb