Rockwood Bound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
September 16th 2007
Published: November 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, September 16th, 2007. Along Demo Road Portage, Maine. Darrin awoke to frost on his tent and boat. After a quick breakfast, he broke camp and set out to complete the portage. It wasn’t more than a quarter mile before he was very glad he’d left the second half for daylight. The remainder of the trail was freshly cut, with sharp stumps and sections so narrow he could hardly fit his canoe. The trail was lined by thick stands of fir, fir so dense that there was no way he would have seen his way through in dimming light.

After finally making his way through the fir, Darrin put onto Brassua Lake. On Brassua, a steady tailwind created big waves and propelled him across the lake to Brassua Dam. He portaged around the dam, and was relieved to find this trail much better defined that the previous one. The portage took him back to the Moose River, which he paddled until the town of Rockwood. From Rockwood, he paddled one and a half miles up Moosehead Lake to the Birches Resort, where he would spend a fun and relaxing five-day layover.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb