Last blog in Maine 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
June 17th 2018
Published: June 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Ran out of room last blog. Did you know that the peninsulas in Maine look like fingers and US 1 cuts across the knuckles? Just a little trivia from the lady at the visitor’s center in Bath. Forgot to mention we stopped there first yesterday. The visitor’s center was in an old railroad station directly in front of the secured Bath Shipworks. She told us they were closed to the public because they were building a Zumwalt class destroyer and a new stealth class destroyer. It looks like it is all angles with no outside decks. She told us the design confused radar into thinking it was a fishing boat until it was too late. For a secret it seems pretty public. We had to go over a bridge on our way to the peninsulas and there to our right sat the ship. Pretty funky looking but whatever works. Today is clean up and pack day. However we decided it did not have to be a stay at home day. After our last meal out here, we headed once more into the breach, it is Sunday and everyone seemed to have the same idea. Last lunch was definitely not my best, clam chowder ranked 4 of 4 in the ones I have eaten this week. Fried mushrooms were good though. They were huge and stuffed with lobster in great seasonings. They were about twice the size of a golf ball. Headed south on US 1 and only got about 10 miles before we hit a ton of traffic. Took 15 minutes to get through 3 lights that were only 100 feet apart. Then it was clear sailing until we found ourselves in Old Orchard Beach again. Seems there are at least three turnoffs to get there but everyone wanted to use that one back at the second light. We thought we had missed a turn somewhere. I mentioned before that OOB has an amusement park complete with roller coaster and Ferris wheel.So when we got to the second street before the park we thought we screwed up. Turned out we had to go to the very last street and turn right there. About three blocks later it began to look like another world. Pine trees lined the road and traffic thinned. Found Ferry State Park and paid our $2 each for non-Maine seniors and parked. We had to walk through trees along a fake wood walkway, through an underpass unto the beach. Crazy people from up north were actually swimming. We huddled in our jackets in beach chairs reading books for about 45 min until we were popsicles. On the way back we found Cascade Falls which was supposed to be an easy 0.5 mile loop. Falls were pretty, but someone needs to redraw the map. We had to retrace our steps, too many paths leading off what we thought was the main one. Back at duplex making an eclectic dinner of all stuff in fridge. So, tata from Maine. Another state down.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb