Last blog from Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
June 17th 2018
Published: June 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Well eveyone, it is about that time. We should be on the road heading for Carol’s house before nine am tomorrow. So time to catch up on last two days. Yesterday was lighthouse day. We thought about going up to Bar Harbor but figured over three hours each way would cramp our style. Instead we headed to Boothbay and Pemaquid Lighthouse. On the way down the peninsula we found Fort Edgemore, a Revolutionary and Civil War fort set on a promontory overlooking a breathtaking cove. It looked so peaceful. Was built to protect a port further inland because of rumors in both wars that the port was a target. Never materialized though. Bunker looked like an Eagle’s nest home, with eight sides having windows for cannons and slots for riflemen. Onward we drove to the lighthouse. Beautiful old place owned by the Coast Guard but maintained as a state park. We were going to take the tour of the actual lighthouse but only five people could go up at once and the line was long. We walked around the grounds with beautiful flowerbeds, lawns and trees. Must have covered about 150 ft of rocky shoreline. There was a wedding about to happen so after a nice lunch in the next door restaurant we headed back up the peninsula and headed north to check out Owl’s Nest lighthouse near Rockland. Getting there was a shock, literally, at least for the car. Dirt road that probably has not been scraped flat in years. Nowhere on the road was there anyplace to avoid all the gullies. They must have been 4-6 inches deep, one after another. Probably would have been smoother riding a camel. When we finally got to the parking lot we got another surprise, but this time a nice one. The path to the lighthouse was a little hilly but like the soon to be seen lighthouse, it was well maintained. The lighthouse keeper’s home looked like something you would see on an old fashioned farm, made of stone and whitewashed. It matched the lighthouse which stood above it. This one was locked, but the views from the steps were amazing. Water everywhere, broken only by tree covered islands. Entire place was so peaceful. Since we had had a long day we just headed home though that took us quite a long time because we had been meandering.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb