Burnt Cove, Stonington,Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Stonington
July 30th 2011
Published: September 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Burnt Cove HouseBurnt Cove HouseBurnt Cove House

Sitting out front enjoying the day.
SUMMER VISIT TO DEER ISLE

Karen and I made our annual summer trip to the coast of Maine for a week at the end of July. This year we found a wonderful waterfront cottage on Burnt Cove in Stonington on Deer Isle. The older house had just been completely rebuilt to the studs and was totally remodeled. They did a great job and all the fixtures were top of the line, which is unusual for a rental. It appeared that we were the first to have ever rented the place since the do over. Burnt Cove is beautiful fishing village a short drive from the center of Stonington. Stonington is an active fishing community and claims to land the most lobsters of any place in Maine. The house is only about 20 feet from the shoreline. On the cove out in the front of the house are 35 lobster boats of various lengths that leave at about 5AM each morning providing an interesting wake up. Two ospreys claim the cove as a feeding ground and I sit out on the lawn and watch them feed all day. A small seal also resides here and I enjoy looking for his head to pop up and a couple times I’ve seen a bald eagle fly overhead. The center of Stonington is nearby and mid week we attended an interesting film and discussion at the Opera House on former summer resident Frederic Law Olmstead. The talk was given by Olmstead’s great grandson and was very interesting to listen to as he shared some great family stories. We were also treated to a spectacular double rainbow that sat over the cove for almost 45 minutes. Maya drove up and spent the end of the week with us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Burnt Cove, Stonington-7Burnt Cove, Stonington-7
Burnt Cove, Stonington-7

Heron sitting on float
Burnt Cove 4Burnt Cove 4
Burnt Cove 4

Osprey Nest
Burnt Cove 6Burnt Cove 6
Burnt Cove 6

Bald Eagle
Burnt Cove, Stonington-15Burnt Cove, Stonington-15
Burnt Cove, Stonington-15

Deer Isle Cemetery
Burnt Cove 13Burnt Cove 13
Burnt Cove 13

Civil War Memorial Deer Island


5th October 2011
Burnt Cove 7

Especially love this photo.
It's a schooner, right?

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb