From Gorham NH to Rangeley ME


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Rangeley
September 23rd 2020
Published: October 15th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Its NE Maine and the Great North Woods. The route keeps inside the White Mountain National Forest, going South for a while, through small towns and lakes. In the forest close to Lovell I was stopped by someone who advised that the road ahead was blocked by a recently fallen tree. I decided to carry on. A bike can often cross where cars fear to tread. My gamble turned out well. With the help of three strong young people, I was able to tip the bike on its side and drag it under the tree. Once through I carried on down to Lovell and bought an axe. Returning to the scene of the crime, I found two cars blocked by the tree. Another strong young guy volunteered to chop through the tree trunk, so I gave him the axe.

The route then turns North along long, lonely forest roads. All of a sudden, North of Rumford, when least expected after miles of forest, I came to a clearing with a school and a store. A one lane wooden bridge led me over a stream set in a narrow but deep cleft -- Coos Canyon. The town of Byron (5 houses and a church) had been built around this beautiful feature -- a small but very pretty canyon set about with maple trees. Children played on the water worn rocks. Seems Paul Bunyan visited Byron in his travels through the Maine forests.

Further North the drive became more interesting, winding in and around the large lakes. Met some fishermen who had driven two and a half hours from Augusta to go salmon fishing in lake Richardson. No catch, which they blamed themselves for. I think people from Maine are like that. Eventually arrived in Rangeley, the biggest town in that part of the state, perched on a ridge above the lake that bears its name. At the motel I met a group of three bikers who were doing the Alt-hard version of the BDR ride. Talked to them about the road and the weather, and how the bikes held up. Yes, Alt-hard is hard they confirmed, a little condescendingly I thought. They were afraid the motel would deny them entry due to Covid, but they managed to get a room. They were also headed up to the official end of the BDR route at the Canadian border tomorrow. I wished them well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Coos Canyon at Byron MECoos Canyon at Byron ME
Coos Canyon at Byron ME

Byron was one of the many small towns Paul Bunyan is said to have visited in his travels in the region.
Gorham NH to Rangeley ME first halfGorham NH to Rangeley ME first half
Gorham NH to Rangeley ME first half

White Mountain National Forest


15th October 2020
Clearing the road (with my axe)

It's a real axe-clearing kind of outfit that guy has.
16th October 2020

All's well in Hillsdale, MI
Jim - Very enjoyable blog, as always. Thanks for your plug for Hillsdale, MI from Hillsdale, NY. We are very much enjoying having rejoined Faith and Fellowship after a 6 yr absence. Once COVID is in our rear view mirror, we will very much miss the Sunday, 1000AM sessions. Doug

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb