Whoopie Pies and Diners Dive-ins and Drives


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Portland
October 10th 2011
Published: October 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Final day... boy what a quick trip this was... it seemed like just yesterday that we checked in... but I guess that's what weekend getaways are all about... activity filled and quick to end....

We had breakfast again in the lobby before checking out. Same stuff, still good. After breakfast, we hit the road. The game plan for today.... head into Old Port in downtown Portland, then head to airport for home. We parked the car along commercial street and walked around Old Port for a bit. Not much happening. Saw a cruise ship, went into a public market, saw few boutique shops, etc....

Portland is famous for their Whoopie pies, so we decided to try some. Bobby Flay had a Whoopie Pie throwdown with the Cranberry Island Kitchen... which just happens to be in Portland. So we decided to head there to test it out. So that we had a comparison... we first stopped at the Bam Bam Bakery and tested theirs. Essentially a whoopie pie is two "cake" like cookies, with marshmellow fluff in between. Bam Bam was bam bam... pretty good.... the cake was tasty and the fluff not too sweet. I would recommend... the good question would be how does Cranberry compare? drum roll please.... couldn't really compare... Cranberry's was previously frozen and the icing was more like frosting versus fluff, edible but smaller...

After we were whoopied out, we decided it was time to move on... as it was lunch time... we decided to pull a Guy Fieri and head to a diner, drive-in and dive called Becky's Diner. Guy did an episode around Thanksgiving time, so it was nothing seafood related. Our waitress said it was more about the turkey dinner... I had the buffalo burger (very lean), Betsy had the Maine Lobster and cheese melt and Mary and Aunt Sue split the melt along with a garden salad. All good. The melt was a little filling, but the onion rings were delish!

After lunch, we made our way back to Manchester, with a stop at the Lindt Factory Outlet. Good thing we stopped because there was a bargain... 4 pounds for $15. We each got a bag. I recommend the milk with the green wrapper and the dark peppermint.

O, I almost forgot... while we were walking to the Cranberry Island Kitchen, Betsy stepped into some poopie... Superstition has it that if you walk on it, you're lucky. So we decided to stop at the 7-11 in front of the super 8 to buy Mega millions and Powerball tickets. I think we have some good chances, because the #8 was following us everyone. 8 is lucky in case you were wondering... when Betsy went thru security, she needed to have her bag searched, the TSA asked her if her combo was 143 (=8), we sat in row 8 on the plane, our car was parked by stop 8... all things pointing to winner winner winner!! :O) tbd...



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb