Lobster for dinner


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Midcoast
October 8th 2007
Published: October 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dear Family & Friends Coast to Coast, A leg of our journey has been completed. We have arrived at Bar Harbor, ME next to Acadia Nat'l Park. But, we must say that the journey getting here was one of the most beautiful ever taken. From New York,through Vermont, New Hampshire has been a sight these eyes have never seen. I know I've already written about the leaves, but I wish I had more adjectives to adequately describe them: awesome, spectacular, like fireworks in the forest. New Hampshire was enchanting and Mt. Washington was a blaze of color. We moved into Gorham NH. and had fish & chips at a locals' kind of place. We ambled into Maine and found Skowhegan. We stayed at the confluence of the Kennebec & Wesserunsett Rivers. We were right on the water and could see a Great Blue Heron fishing for dinner. We had barbecued spareribs and then a light rain. Early this morning we left the rivers, went to Mass at a very welcoming Notre Dame de Lourdes church. Like Rebecca's situation the priest has 3 parishes. The stained glass windows portray various missionaries who brought Christianity to the native Americans in 1681. We felt at home in another mission setting. It was just a hop, skip, and a jump to Bar Harbor. We got our campsite and then took the free shuttle bus into the town of Bar Harbor. It's a little like Avalon meets Carmel. Lots of shops & restaurants. We opted for clam chowder outside as we had Tim. The harbor is big & beautiful; the weather is cool with some wind, but blue skies. For dinner we had FRESH LOBSTER. A man whose brother has lobster pots brings fresh lobsters to the campground. We had to walk about 50 yds. to order ours for 6 p.m. We then picked them up at the scheduled time. We each had a lobster that he cooks right there, corn on the cob, cold slaw, and butter (which we had to melt in the microwave). It was the sweetest tasting ocean treasure that we have ever had! Peggy, Don & Judy will remember Cape Cod. Then, as if that wasn't enough, a man & wife drove around in their station wagon ringing a bell...the pie delivery car had arrived. She had still warm wild blueberry pies which she brought to the campground. This is really Meals on Wheels. Life is grand on the road. We will have to hike tomorrow. This is about as far as we can get from home, but talked to grandkids today so we felt connected. There are schnauzers in the next two campsites so we are among friends. Today marks the beginning of our 5th week and we are still lovin' it. We will be here for a week. love from lobsterville, DWT.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb