Isle au Haut, Island of Mountains


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Isle au Haut
August 11th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Isle au Haut
On Monday, we decided to get out early and ride the mail boat to Isle au Haut. We drove to Stonington to ride the boat, but when we got there the harbor was socked in with pea soup fog. Byrd and I still wanted to go, but Karen was reluctant to go in the fog. The girl in the ticket booth said it was supposed to clear, but gave us no guarantee. Byrd and I decided to go and we convinced Karen to join us, so we all bought tickets. As we boarded the boat with the dozen other hardy souls, the fog began to clear and it was completely gone by the time we were a mile outside the harbor. The boat passes the Crotch Island quarry on it's trip to the island.

Isle au Haul is a twelve square mile island seven miles east of Stonington. There’s a small village that consists mostly of lobsterman. Last winters population was 71 and the population more than doubles during the summer. Sixty percent of the Island is part of Arcadia National Park, so there’s a great variety of trails and hikes. Mount Champlain, elevation 540 feet is the highest point on the island.

We had a lovely lunch on the picnic table behind the general store that overlooks the harbor. Sandwiches made from the lobster left over from Kurt’s catch provided a great feast. Byrd and I walked about town, while Karen walked to the National Park Rangers station where we caught up with her. Karen, not one to ever miss a shopping opportunity, took Byrd and walked to the Sea Urchin gift shop while I took a nap.

In the late afternoon of this glorious summer day, we sat on the dock waiting for the return boat. Fisherman cast their lines and some of the local youths jumped from the docks into the chilly waters. They provided us with great entertainment to end our visit to this enchanted island.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

ISLE AU HAUT 3ISLE AU HAUT 3
ISLE AU HAUT 3

Mail boat returning home.
ISLE AU HAUT 9ISLE AU HAUT 9
ISLE AU HAUT 9

Community School
ISLE AU HAUT 17ISLE AU HAUT 17
ISLE AU HAUT 17

Mail boat picking us up at the end of the day.


17th August 2009

pictures
Sylvan, I loved your pictures specially #'s 14 and 15. Jeanne

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb