Nervous Nellies Jams


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Deer Isle
August 14th 2009
Published: August 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Nervous Nellie’s

A short ride from the center of Deer Isle down Sunshine Road is an interesting emporium and sculptor park called Nervous Nellie’s Jams & Jellies, owned by Anne and Peter Beerit. It is located on an old farmstead, surrounded by gardens and set on the edge of the woods next to an old orchard. Nervous Nellie’s produces numerous small batch jellies and jams produced in the jelly kitchen on site. Peter Beerit’s folk art sculptures populate several acres of the grounds and surround the kitchen and sales cottage. Peter uses discarded items, junk and found objects to create whimsical sculptures and living spaces. The 10-foot tall pink flamingo and a village of the absurd welcome you as you enter the store. A pleasant café with an outside deck is attached to the store and serves homemade pastries and coffee. Every morning, Peter’s 91-year old mother commutes via a woods path from her house next door picking flowers along the way for the café table vases. We did not have the opportunity to meet her. If you visit Deer Isle, be sure to stop by Nervous Nellie’s for a cup of coffee and a walk in the sculpture gardens.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb