On a Round Pond in Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bristol
June 29th 2010
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tiny friendly peaceful Round Pond


The secret to the peacefulness - "Muscongus Bay is one of those rare finds - a body of ocean water that is well protected and not really on the way to anywhere else." this was found on a kayak tour advertisement. Lobster boats chug in circles all day, but other than that, it was quiet.
From our porch high on a hill, we kept watch on our end of the bay for a little seal. Every now and then he would poke his head up between the lobster pot markers. It was the perfect activity for relaxing

Maine is the northern most state on the eastern seaboard. But not until a comment made by a friend of the family's, when she learned that we were from North Carolina, did I realize just how far north Maine is. She told us she in all of her eighty years "had never been any further south than New York"...! ...New York - south? to us that's further north than any of us would entertain!

And why would she have even gone anywhere, other than her little village on Round Pond. It seems pretty wonderful to us.

There were other things to do besides wait for the seal to appear. Pulling the little sailboat down to the harbor. Observing the launching of a 40 foot sailboat, and the ensuing drama as it was discovered that it was leaking, and taking on water. Going to the grocery. We actually got back in the car to make a couple of day trips to lighthouses and historical sites. And right on Round Pond's harbor, we could order our steamers and lobster, and dine al fresco on the pier with family.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 31; qc: 147; dbt: 0.1165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb