New Hampshire to Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bethel
October 11th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

On another dull day which was also fairly cold, windy and at times wet we explored the North East of the White Mountains. The area is dominated by Mount Washington, at 6288’ it is the highest mountain in North East USA. Being exposed it tends to have severe weather conditions.

We first went to look at the bottom station of the cog railway that runs up Mount Washington. This was followed by a walk from Crawford Notch, one of the passes through the mountains to Mount Willard. The view from the summit gave us excellent views down the pass, but we were once again disappointed at the lack of colour in the trees.

Our final expedition was to drive up the road leading up Mount Washington. The notice at the tollbooth at the bottom informed us that conditions on the summit were 70mph winds, 34F temperature and 20’ visibility. Undeterred, we drove up in this appalling weather and got thoroughly cold and wet and nearly blown over climbing the final few feet from the car park to the summit café which turned out to be closed.

We have now moved in to Maine and are staying in a small town called Bethel.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb