Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bar Harbor
September 30th 2012
Published: October 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Acadia was the first National park east of the Mississippi and is the most visited National Park. I am very happy that we came here during the shoulder season when it was far from its summer hustle, bustle, and crowds. The campground we were at is was a large campground and was perhaps a quarter full.

We did the normal touristy stuff. We walked the streets of Bar Harbor while we decided where to eat, we drove the scenic road of Acadia and stopped to see the different sites and exhibits, we took pictures from the top of Cadillac Mountain and I bought some fabric to commemorate our visit.

Additionally we made a side trip into Ellsworth to shop at the LL Bean outlet. I lucked out and was able to buy a pair of jeans for under $8.

The trip to Ellsworth took perhaps 30 minutes on Friday night. Unfortunately Saturday morning when we were moving on and leaving the area the same trip took 2 hours. There was lots of traffic leaving the island but the big hold up was a massive pothole that had formed overnight. There is only the one 2 lane road to get onto or off of the island, so there are no alternate routes. The pothole required slow and careful navigation. Traffic was so slow that we both were able to spend some of that time reading. I even “drove” the RV while George took a bathroom break. That means I sat in the driver’s seat and idled along as the traffic occasionally allowed. Fortunately for me there was no sudden clearing of traffic.

The next place on our list of places to visit is Gorham, New Hampshire. We’re hoping to see Mt Washington and lots of beautiful fall colors. Hope to see you there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View from the top of Cadillac MountainView from the top of Cadillac Mountain
View from the top of Cadillac Mountain

The little town along the shore is Bar Harbor.
Another beautiful viewAnother beautiful view
Another beautiful view

I can imagine this place swarming with people during the summer season. It was busy enough for me at this time of year. We had thought we'd stop for the traditional tea and popovers but the wait was way too long. Parking was difficult and we parked down the road in the overflow lot, but even that was with effort. There is a bus system to take people around the park, but that didn't work in our time limits.
Anyone home?Anyone home?
Anyone home?

One of the many places we could stop and look at something along our drive in the Acadia National Park.
Atlantic Brewing CompanyAtlantic Brewing Company
Atlantic Brewing Company

I'm racing ahead to take the tour. Unknown to me it has been cancelled due to a staff event/party. George sampled the beer in the tasting room. I sampled the pretzels and a little root beer.
Root beerRoot beer
Root beer

The Atlantic Brewing Company doesn't just make beer but also a rather tasty root beer.
Cute kittyCute kitty
Cute kitty

This attractive feline was sitting watch over the road by his/her RV. Just too cute to not share with everyone.


11th October 2012

As always, I'm enjoying your blog. Your so good at it you could get a job as a travel writer. Hurry home, we miss you.

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0984s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb