USA and Canada 2015 Part 2: New Orleans


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Las Vegas - Dallas - New Orleans

2nd stage

5th - 9th. May: We were booked into the Whitney Hotel: small, comfortable, free internet in rooms, conveniently located and we didn't have to walk miles to our room from the lobby. On first day we caught the No. 10 bus to Walmart where I bought some bubble wrap for my fan so it would have a chance of surviving the trip. We took a No. 14 bus and a short walk past some interesting houses to the zoo. On our travels we tend to visit zoos and cemeteries. Interesting with a few animals we don't see in the Perth zoo. We rode back to town on a tram that went past some very large homes - all of which were very different in style making the little trip most interesting.

Taking a local bus there and back is a good way of seeing any city and that is how we saw a lot of New Orleans and the suburbs before heading into the French Markets which were much the same as at home though the nearby Jazz Museum was worth a visit. We went to a Wednesday night jazz concert in Lafayette Square where Meschiya Lake performed before Earphunk - a very noisy rock band came on stage which was time to go to the cafe on the corner where the meals are great, good taste, good size and good price. Jazz at The Monteleone is on every night so a visit there was worthwhile. We walked into the French Quarter and past the Napoleon House - nothing from outside but good inside; onto Jackson Square where we were told it was a traditional New Orleans wedding happening when after the ceremony those attending had masks and parasols to use followed by a parade through the streets with a jazz group in the lead. Jazz bands were playing by the square and everyone having a great time.

No trip to New Orleans would be complete without a tour of a swamp - so off we went to see the alligators - small compared to our salt water crocs. I was astounded that the tour guide fed marshmallows (and a great quantity of them) to the alligators - I thought we were supposed to preserving our wildlife not creating diabetic beasties. I was hoping to see more birds and wildlife, perhaps the noise created by the Airboats disturbed them too much though on the whole we enjoyed the time there. A trip to the casino was a must where we donated some money and a Riverwalk along the front was really very pleasant.

We moved out of our small hotel into the Hilton prior to our next adventure: walked a long way from Lobby to room, aircon blew across our face all night and no internet unless you paid for it!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Louisiana, New OrleansLouisiana, New Orleans
Louisiana, New Orleans

A House in New Orleans
Louisiana, New OrleansLouisiana, New Orleans
Louisiana, New Orleans

Jazz in Lafayette Square
Louisiana, New OrleansLouisiana, New Orleans
Louisiana, New Orleans

Jazz in the Square
Louisiana, New OrleansLouisiana, New Orleans
Louisiana, New Orleans

Jazz by Jackson Square
Louisiana, New OrleansLouisiana, New Orleans
Louisiana, New Orleans

New Orleans wedding party


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb