Oh when the saints....... Welcome to New Orleans!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
August 13th 2012
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone! Sorry for no blog last night. It was raining in Fort Myers yesterday so we made the decision to leave early and get a jump on our drive to New Orleans. We drove six hours yesterday to Tallahasse, Florida and did not get in until late. Before we left the Fort Myers area though we managed to make our way to Sanibel Island to check it out. It was a beautiful island, luch, tropical and a very nice beach. We walked a bit on the beach and were priviledged to see a group of dolphins swimming around less then a 100 feet from shore. What a sight! We were so lucky to be there at that exact moment!

After Sanibel we made our way to Tallahasse, first stopping for dinner in a very tiny town called Live Oak where we ate at a place called Dixie Grill. The town was deserted, but we filled our bellies for the night!

In the morning we got up early and made our way to New Orleans, it took us a little under six hours to get there and we were pleasantly surprised to find out that there was a time change so instead of getting there at 3, it was actually 2pm! Imagine our astonishment! We decided to walk around and get the lay of the land while we waited for the room. Our first impressions of the city were great, you can tell there is a lot of history here and the architecture is amazing. We made our way onto the famous bourbon street in the French Quarter, and have come to realize that the street is the party street of the city. It is lined with beers and clubs. We decided quickly that we preferred the quieter side streets. As we made our way back to the hotel, it started to teem!! Good thing our room was ready when we got back to the hotel.

We checked into our room and went for a dip in the outdoor pool. We decided that we wanted an authentic gumbo and jambalaya dinner experience this evening and we ended up at a place called the Gumbo Stop. The server there was so nice and we we were very happy with our meal, maybe not blown away though. I had Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo and Jack had a mixed platter with shrimp creole, Jambalaya and Crawfish etoufee with a side of creamed spinach. It was just what we needed after a day of travelling. Oh and we also shared a strawberry Daiquiri. After dinner we took another walk in the French Quarter, looking at menus and the architecture and popping in and out of souvenir shops. At about 8 we slowly made our way back to the hotel. We are looking forward to the next three days here that will include more exploring in the French Quarter, the Garden District, a ghost tour, and more delicious food. I am so excited for the banana cream pie at Emeril's!

Can't wait to write about it all tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



14th August 2012

Nice city
I love to see the architecter in Louiseanna, and the history. Too bad Catrina distorted so much, but luckily it spared the downtown area. Louise

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb