On the Road Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
April 10th 2012
Published: April 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We stopped at Medina Lake TT, half way thru' Texas. We visited The Alamo, outside of San Antonio while there. This is hill country and after being in the desert for 3 years, we enjoyed seeing Spring in the Hill Country of Texas. From there we traveled to Colorado River TT west of Houston. On Easter morning we left there and continued our trip East. This turned out to be a good time to drive through Houston. We took a collective deep breath and looked forward to finally driving out of Texas.

350 miles later we arrived at Breaux Bridge, LA .This was a new area for us and we were pleasantly surprised. Home to Jake deLohme (former quaterback for our NFL teams, the Panthers as well as the Browns) we found his parents home and did the tourist thing gawking at some beautiful neighborhoods. Oil has been good to the people in this small town. We ate creole at the local small town eatery and enjoyed boulettes, boudin and bread puddin'. Before leaving town we stopped at Poche's Meat market and got some andouille sausage and boudin balls for our freezer.

Next stop was New Orleans. Lake Ponchatrain RV Park is at the New Orleans marina. It was a lovely setting and they run a tram into the French Quarter if you want to leave the driving to someone else. Tom had seafood cheesecake at the Crescent Brewery Company Restaurant. We had to stop at Cafe Dumonde and revisit our time their 3 years ago with friends Randy and Mary. The beignets are WONDERFUL! (Are we so old all we think about is food?) Nah.....it was the french/cajun/creole cusine calling to us. Of course we stopped at a nearby Winn Dixie where the fish monger showed us how to peel and eat crawfish! The only downside to this leg of our trip was getting out of town. Putting up new road signs isn't a high priority in the rebuilding of the city. After three trial runs--we did it!

I'll close by saying Princess was happy to be alive and enjoy these experiences with us. Both campgrounds had souvenirs of previous campers....crawfish claws cooked just right for her palette! Heading into Florida next week to wish my sister a happy 70th birthday! (Scroll beyond advertising banner below to see all pictures.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



18th April 2012

Awesome Pictures
Hi Karen and Tom, I truly enjoy seeing glimps of where you have been. I am amazed that the deer came that close to you to eat out of your hand. So glad you are both doing well. Keep in touch and May God Bless.
19th April 2012

Feeding Deer
Unfortunately Joannie, the deer in the Medina Lake park have been fed so much that they now depend on human help. Corn is sold locally to encourage it. Otherwise, I would not have fed them. Still...cute creatures!
20th April 2012

Good News.
We enjoy seeing that you have a good time.We are making notes for our tour next winter.
21st April 2012

Making Me Hungry
For Cajun/Creole food. It's been a while since we've traveled through Cajun country and experienced their wonderful seafood dishes, seasoned just right! How's your pickleball game? Haven't had enough players so far this year to have any games that I know of. Happy, healthy travels!

Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb