In New Orleans having a good time - except for the stitches in my knee!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
March 23rd 2012
Published: March 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

RoatanRoatanRoatan

Just arriving
Hi again – its now the 22ndand we are just sailing up the Mississippi and will be arriving in New Orleans in just over an hour so very excited although it is stormy and quite cold!! Have also been singing every old Southern American song I can think of and will indeed be tasting the Jumbalaya and crab later on when we hit Bourbon Street.



The last blog was sent on the 18th March from Roatan which is an island of Honduras. It is a beautiful place and to date has been one of the highlights of the tour. It is a real “Pirates of the Caribbean” location and was used in some of the filming. We arrived early in the morning to a clean, purpose built cruise port which made a great change to some of the more not so nice container ports and industrial areas we have pulled into. Once off the ship we negotiated a price for a taxi for 4 us of $25 dollars for a tour of the island and a day’s use of the taxi service. The driver was a lovely chap (called Ossie) who was obviously very proud of his home town. He took us on a tour round and up to the highest spot of the island so that we could see it all. It is a very green place with beautiful sandy beaches and wonderful coloured sea. Apparently it has a reef which is second only to the Great Barrier Reef so a very popular place for divers and snorklers of which there were many. We then stopped in a place called the West End at a divers bar where we used their free wifi to send the last missive. A very chilled out spot it was too. After this and a little bit more of sight seeing we headed for the beach which was just amazingly beautiful. They are developing one end of it and building apartments set in the forest and overlooking the sea – I have registered my interest and am bringing home all the details!!!!! (comment from Scott – don’t panic I’ve hidden the brochure!) We spent a great day just lazing about on the beach.



(Wow – just going through a massive thunderstorm and its absolutely chucking it down!!!)



The day after Roatan was Cozumel which is an island of Mexico and the complete opposite of Roatan – a veritable dump!!!! Purpose built holiday spot full of concrete buildings which contained jewelers, massive gift shops, pubs with very loud music, men in vests, women in hats made out of balloons all drinking copious amounts. We bumped into some fellow cruisers and tried to get into the spirit of things and took a horse and cart ride to see the sights – unfortunately there weren’t any!! We did try tho. After this went and found wifi spot to catch up on news and then decided the ship was the better option. Not a place to recommend at all!!



Yesterday was a day at sea with fabulous weather and good company. Another little soiree was held in the suite of our new mates so that was good fun too.



Oh and also another note to my bridge playing friends – apparently I am playing Duplicate Bridge – and have now got so many instructions I’m not sure what to do with them but do feel that the game is coming on a little. Although the other day I was put on a table to play with the poor lady who is suffering from brain damage and has no memory so must say she was quite easy to get the better of. Still not sure if I was put on it for a reason tho????

Right off to explore a very wet New Orleans!!!!



Oops! One thing I forgot to mention is that the ship’s entertainment is perhaps kindest described as not being of a terribly high quality. The highlight of their entertainers has so for been Paul Daniels and his “beautiful assistant” Debbie McGee!!!! Make of that what you will but personally I have always found him to be a creepy guy and a fairly naff act – my opinion has not changed – although Scott did find him quite amusing!!!! He prowls the ship in his own odd fashion and talks to all his groupies (of which there are a few) – good people watching but in my humble opinion definitely not a class act!!! Have attached a photo of him and his Mrs in Cozumel as he entertained his most ardent of fans!!!! (“not a lot”)


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

RoatanRoatan
Roatan

Where I want my new house
CozumelCozumel
Cozumel

in horse and cart
Pelican in CozumelPelican in Cozumel
Pelican in Cozumel

This was the nicest bit of the visit
CozumelCozumel
Cozumel

Paul Daniels and the lovely Debbie


23rd March 2012

"stitches in knee"
Whats the story Su , brill pics and Blog, is Paul Danials really about 4foot.?
25th March 2012

What about the stitches in your knee??? What happened???!!! Was there alcohol involved? Gorgeous here today (Sunday) hope it keeps up. Liz x

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb