neilandjoyce


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
September 9th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

September 10

Went out to a former plantation today. Lovely place, but the slaves had it tough in the old days. Went to lunch in the French Quarter at the 'Court of Two Sisters". Lovely meal, but we ate too much. Went out again in the evening to Bourbon Street for a light meal. We had a shrimp po boy sandwich, which was disappointing. Had a few beers to make up for it. Then went to a few bars to listen to the music, two kinds, country and western.

September 11

On the road again early for Pensacola. Called in at the USS Alabama museum in Mobile.Had a minutes silence on the bus for 9/11. Our guide Wesley told us about his boss at the tour company at the time whose wife was working at the World Trade Center. He was talking to her on the phone when it went dead. Her remains were never recovered. Very sad story. Continued on to the hotel in Pensacola, and then to the beach. Very fine sand, and the water was warm. Only went in up to shins, as we didn't have bathers with us at the time. Went to a bar on the beach and had $3 bloody marys, and a beer. Back to the hotel for dinner, and we had burgers from Steak and Shake, with fries and a drink. Under $10. Had a swim in the hotel pool after dinner, quite cool, but refreshing.

September 12

Up early for a long drive to Orlando. Stopped at Walmart to gather supplies for a picnic lunch at Fanning Springs State Park. Beautiful spot, with swimming facilities, although we didn't have time for that. Continued on the road, clocks forward and lose an hour. Arrived in Orlando around 6.30 pm. We went to dinner across the road with a lovely couple from Forbes, Geoff and Margaret. Went to Amici Restaurant, and got a 15% discount. They had a bucket of 5 beers for $10, and excellent food. We will probably go there again tomorrow night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb