Swamps, Plantations and Bourbon Street


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
December 22nd 2017
Published: January 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today, Renata and I are heading out to a swamp and plantation with Cajun Pride tours. Our first stop was the swamp tour where Renata and I saw various alligators, turtles, birds and raccoons. We even got to hold a baby alligator!

After the swamp tour, Renata and I headed to Oak Valley Plantation. Known for its beautiful alley of Oak Trees, Oak Alley Plantation was previously a sugar plantation; now a historical site. During our visit to Oak Alley Plantation, Renata and I learned about the history of the plantation and visited the slave quarters. We also tried a delicious non-alcoholic mint julep while exploring the grounds. A lot of film productions have been filmed at Oak Alley plantation, including a scene from the movie Interview with the Vampire.

After the plantation tour, we headed back to New Orleans, where we headed to the iconic Bourbon Street. Known for its incredible nightlife, bars and strip clubs, Bourbon Street is a must see for any tourist travelling to New Orleans; Or so we thought! The street was flashy, crowded, and smelled. Renata and I left Bourbon Street fairly quickly and ended up going to a restaurant called New Orleans Creole Cookery, to try some traditional Creole food and listen to some jazz music. At the New Orleans Creole Cookery we tried some jambalaya, crawfish Étouffée, shrimp creole, and red beans and rice. We also tried some shrimp remoulade, crab maison, and crab stuffed mushrooms. It was not one of the best meals we had in New Orleans, but the courtyard ambiance and music made up for it.

Tomorrow, is our last day in New Orleans before we head back home. Renata and I are going on Voodoo and French Quarter tours, and ending the night on the Steamboat Natchez.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Oak Alley Plantation Oak Alley Plantation
Oak Alley Plantation

Slave Quarters


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb