Searching for Somewhere Warm


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » Alexandria
January 10th 2014
Published: January 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Entrance ArchEntrance ArchEntrance Arch

Vicksburg National Military Park
Thursday, 9 January, 2014

We had planned to head south last weekend, but Kerry came down with the crud and so we then had to wait for the polar vortex weather to move on. We had a temp of 4 on Monday morning and 3 on Tuesday. So, needless to say, we were a bit disorganized as we weren’t just sure when we would be able to hit the road.

We finally got underway at the somewhat embarrassing time of 10:45, leaving in rain and temps around freezing. The roads were wet, but not slick, and the temperature didn’t start to warm up until we were well into Mississippi. We watched as the ice on the ponds became thinner before disappearing altogether. By late afternoon we actually saw some blue skies, sunshine and a high of 61 degrees. That’s getting closer to what we’re looking for.

We stopped for the night at Coal Bluff Park, near Ludlow, MS, a nice little park.



Friday, 10 January

Another late start this morning. This one was definitely my fault. After my first cup of coffee, I crawled back into bed and fell asleep.

We drove through
USS CairoUSS CairoUSS Cairo

Union iron-clad gunship
Jackson, MS, to Vicksburg, where we stopped at the Vicksburg National Military Park for a stamp, patch and a driving tour of the battlefields. It was really hilly ground, looking much easier to defend than attack. We also saw the remains of the USS Cairo, Union iron-clad gunboat, that was sent to destroy the confederate batteries along the Mississippi and Yazoo Rivers. It was the first vessel ever sunk by mines.

From Vicksburg we drove to Natchez, where we crossed the Mississippi River into Vidalia, LA, then on to Alexandria, and finally to Woodworth, LA, to Indian Creek Recreation Area for the night. We were going to stay at the arena in Alexandria, but when I called about availability, I was told they were having Monster Trucks!!! tonight and would be full up. It was after dark when we finally reached Indian Creek and now it is raining pretty hard.

By the way, in case you may have been wondering about my stamp-patches, I have a national park passport that I have stamped in the National Parks we visit. The patches are the embroidered, souvenirs that you can buy most places. These I have sewn on a wall
Vicksburg NMBVicksburg NMBVicksburg NMB

Looking across cannons to monuments
hanging. I’ll post pictures.



Kerry and I are feeling better, but are still not over our crud, still nasty coughs, etc. We’re hoping warm weather and sunshine will help cure us. More tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Vicksburg National CemetaryVicksburg National Cemetary
Vicksburg National Cemetary

16,000 Union soldiers were buried here, 13,000 of whom are unidentified. Also buried here are vets of Spanish American War, WWI & II, and the Korean War.
Tennessee MonumentTennessee Monument
Tennessee Monument

Vicksburg NMB
Natchez, MSNatchez, MS
Natchez, MS

Bridge over the Mississippi River.
The Mighty MississippiThe Mighty Mississippi
The Mighty Mississippi

from bridge joining Natchez, MS and Vidalia, LA
National Park PassportNational Park Passport
National Park Passport

Showing stamps with dates of visits.
Wall hangingWall hanging
Wall hanging

With all my patches. Not room for many more.


11th January 2014

Have a great time---be safe---we, ll keep up with you---hope you find that warm weather!!!
11th January 2014

crud here too
Glad you got out of the nasty weather safely. Jerry has the crud too. Finally sent him to the dr yesterday for antibiotics and cough syrup. Have fun!
11th January 2014

Here I go traverling with you two again. Love and blessings.
13th January 2014

Patches
I am really impressed with your patch wall hanging. Great idea!

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0811s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb