Mammoth Caves


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We made our drive northward toward Louisville. Andrew has a cousin who lives in Louisville, and we were hoping to make her Christening tomorrow. The weather was intense for the drive. At one point, rain started coming down so hard that visibility was severely impaired. It was a situation where we had to slow way down to see but were afraid of getting rear ended by someone else who didn't slow down. We pulled over as soon as we could to let the worst of the storm pass, but it was an anxious few minutes there.

On our drive, we stopped at Mammoth Caves. I had the historic tour reserved for us and Paul and Colleen. Unfortunately, due to needing to be in certain towns for a Super Charger for the Tesla, they couldn't end up making the tour. Andrew's foot was really sore, and he didn't think he could do the tour either. That left the kids and me. I was a bit nervous about taking them to the caves myself, but it was fine. Mammoth Caves are very large and open, as their name suggests, and it wasn't too intimidating for the kids at all.

I really hate to say this about something unique and natural, but it was difficult to be impressed by most of these caves. I've been to a few caves in my life, including Crystal Lake Caves and Maquoketa Caves, and those cave systems are full of stalactites and stalagmites. Mammoth Caves, by contrast, are dry. It's almost like being in an empty parking garage. Is that terrible to say? I'm glad we went, and I'm glad we saw them, but they weren't the most spectacular caves I've been to (far from it).

When we finished with the tour, which culminated in climbing up a couple hundred stairs, we picked out something from the gift shop for Paul and Colleen, and then we set out for Louisville. It was late when we arrived, so we got some pizza, checked into our hotel, and went straight to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb