Road trip to Kansas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas
June 21st 2016
Published: July 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Another day - another road trip - this time to Kansas City. We set forth mid-morning to drive though to Kansas. Of course on the way we got hungry. It seems that travelling is hungry work even if you are just a passenger. "Around the world in 80 McDonalds" is a catchphrase I have used for a few trips but in this case there are alternative fast food hamburger franchises to choose from. One of us is intent on trying them all! Two kiwi blokes made quite the picture in their haka tee-shirts as they chose Spangles to try this time. Not my favourite experience to date. I felt sorry for the cattle who suffer the indignity of standing in feed yards so they can fatten enough to cater for the ever-present demand for beef burgers.

As the miles whizzed by we got a chance to look at the scenery - miles and miles of flat land, endless horizons and a multitude of oil wells. The oil drilling rigs look like prehistoric dinosaurs dipping their heads into the earth to partake of black gold.

On arrival, Kurt had his appointment then we met up with Robert and Christina for an early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory before returning to Wichita. The decorative stairway in the cheesecake factory was quite a surprise as was the grilled salmon which was delicious - so much so that we had to take our cheesecakes 'to go'. We enjoyed these much later in the evening once we arrived back in Wichita.

Leaving Kansas in rush hour was an interesting experience and as we drive over a railway bridge we got a sense of the length of the trains around here. I am glad I wasn't driving - thank goodness for GPS or as I fondly call her 'the gypsy'. No doubt we will depend on her guidance again.

I wonder what next culinary experiences await us?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb