McIntosh Woods State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Clear Lake
May 17th 2014
Published: May 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A trail begins right by the yurt we're staying in. It follows along Clear Lake for about a quarter of a mile before turning inward. From there, we could take a short trail east, away from the lake, or cross a small bridge. We decided to check it out yesterday evening. Before long, Oliver wanted to head back to the campground. He and Andrew turned around, but Jo and I proceeded on and crossed the bridge. It opened up into the tent campground before continuing. Instead of following the trail, Jo and I explored the observation deck. A plaque read that it was built by a local Boy Scout troop. The deck wrapped around a marshy estuary that were filled with areas for birds to nest. A sign described all of the birds that can sometimes be spotted there: blue-winged teal, pintails, shovelers, Canadian geese, pied-billed grebes, killdeer, wood ducks, wigeons, ring-necked ducks, snow geese, and canvasback. I'm not even familiar with most of those!

This evening, Oliver and I hiked back. This time, instead of going across the bridge, we turned and followed the short trail into the woods away from the lake. There was a giant cottonwood tree that had to be, I don't know, eight feet around. We stuck to the trail because everything was so lush that I couldn't be sure what we'd be stepping in. I've had poison ivy once, and that was enough! We passed a couple who were rooting through the leaves near some fallen trees. I had an idea what they were up to, but it was only when I saw their baggie full of mushrooms that my suspicions were confirmed: morel hunting! I'd read all about morel hunting in the paper. Apparently, these mushrooms can only be found in the Midwest and some parts of the South in the spring, and they're considered a delicacy. They're a very distinctive mushroom, but they can sometimes be confused with half-morels, which can make people feel really sick. So, be sure to do your research before hunting for morels! I've never tried morels myself, but I want to hunt for some maybe next year to try out (rather than buying them for $20/pound!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View from the BridgeView from the Bridge
View from the Bridge

On one side of us was Clear Lake. A small stream connected it to a marsh.
Campground at McIntosh Woods State ParkCampground at McIntosh Woods State Park
Campground at McIntosh Woods State Park

Once we crossed over the bridge, everything opened up into a lush, green camping area for people with tents. There was no one out tent camping today.
Walking the Observation DeckWalking the Observation Deck
Walking the Observation Deck

This bird observation deck runs along one side of a marsh off of Clear Lake, Iowa.
Views of Nesting Areas at the MarshViews of Nesting Areas at the Marsh
Views of Nesting Areas at the Marsh

McIntosh Woods State Park, Iowa
Another Small TrailAnother Small Trail
Another Small Trail

We followed this short trail into McIntosh Woods.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb