New York to Indiana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana
May 17th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Cool morning, beautiful sunrise. What a great way to wake up and face the new day. Showers, breakfast, a morning walk and we are off on the second day of our great adventure. Leaving Lake Erie State Park behind us, we passed through “wine country” Dave thought, as we drove along the Erie shores and noticed lots of grape vines growing on trellises. Once on Route 90 we headed west for a lunch date with two wonderful people, Ken and Janice.

Ken and Janice are full-time RV’ers who happen to be staying in Oregon, Ohio doing some bird watching. When they heard we were coming through Ohio they waited an extra three days, so we could meet up with them for lunch. We met them at Bob Evans and had a great lunch and great conversation. Three hours went by as if it was only minutes. It was so nice to meet up with these great friends.

Back on the road and still heading west on 90. For the first time, but unfortunately not the last time this trip, we saw gasoline costing over $4.00. This was in Indiana on the Interstate. Before we left on this trip, I recorded audio books onto CD’s, free from the internet at this site: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/1

We started our first book, listening to “The Call of the Wild” by Jack London. Dave had read the book as a kid, but it was my first time to hear it. I chose it because it takes place in Alaska and the Yukon, places we will soon be.

We decided to camp at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore again this year. We stayed here last year on our cross-country trip. It is $15 to stay at Dunewood Campground and $35 to stay at Indiana Dunes State Park just down the street because they charge a $10 entry fee in addition to the camping fee. The choice is easy, the more spacious sites are the least expensive. Go figure. Our new tent made it’s debut to a resounding positive review by its audience. Bugs and rain were kept at bay and we were able to keep the hatch of the van open all night which tripled our living space. Because we were not in bear country yet, we were able to cook inside, out of the elements.

The only drawback to staying in the park is it’s proximity to the train tracks. Six trains went through blowing their whistles between 10 pm and 6 am. We also had a severe thunderstorm during the night with torrential rains. Dave slept through it all.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Dave inside tentDave inside tent
Dave inside tent

As taken by me inside van. The tent makes our overall length 25 feet


19th May 2008

Love the tent idea!!
Sounds like you guys are having a great time back on the road!! It was last fall that Peter and I did the western trip. Smart idea to take just the van and the tent looks great. Similar space as we have in our Pleasureway!! I am enjoying your blog and will have to include you in on our fall trip to Nova Scotia. Enjoy!! Karen

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb