Day 28 - 31 - Utah – Colorado - Kansas – St. Louis/Missouri – Illinois - Indiana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana » Indianapolis
November 6th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Have you been wondering where the Wanderlust Crew has been the past few days? We’ve been doing some heavy travelling.

We crossed the rest of Utah and enjoyed the majestic views. We were thrilled to see the ski hills in Colorado especially Vale and discovered Copper Mountain, for a future ski trip. Anyone want to join us? Joe, Da and Deb were tempted to stop and ski a few runs, but decided to wait until next time. The snow capped mountains were awesome as we had just missed a snow storm. We were happy that we didn’t have to have chains on our tires...according to law, you can’t drive the roads
in the winter weather without them. We drove through a tunnel, approximately 1.6 miles, through a mountain as we drove to Denver.

We stayed in Denver for the night and had an early start the next day to Topeka, Kansas. The drive was monotonous even though we were in the land of Oz. We clicked our heals and said “There’s no place like home...there’s no place like home.”

St. Louis, Missouri was our next stop and it was exciting to view Busch Stadium from our hotel rooms, where the St. Louis Cardinals just won the world series. The Gateway Arch was impressive, and we really enjoyed viewing it from the rooftop bar of the Hilton as we drank our Appletinis. Life is good.

But that wasn’t all of the excitement...once we were settled into our beds for the night...we were awoken at 10:53 pm by a huge tremor...Oklahoma was hit by a 5.6 earthquake, the biggest in their history which we felt big time. We were on the 23rd floor and our beds shook and the building swayed. We debated evacuating, but after confirmation, we cautiously went back to sleep. We decided to cut our stay short and got the hell out of Dodge!

Today was another travel day and we drove through Illinois to Indianapolis, Indiana, where we are tucked in for the night. We arrived late in the afternoon and got in some shopping. Life is really good.

Next stop, Cleveland!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

St. LouisSt. Louis
St. Louis

Missouri
Baby OwlBaby Owl
Baby Owl

Wizard of Oz
Where East meets WestWhere East meets West
Where East meets West

Gateway Arch, St. Louis
Wanderlust MembersWanderlust Members
Wanderlust Members

St. Louis, Missouri


7th November 2011

Awesome pictures!
Good Morning all! I was actually wondering where the Wanderlust tourbus was for the earthquake! The kids and I were in Greece in a concrete building for a 6.1 and it is a very odd sensation for sure (I did put a bag of essentials by the front door and all of our shoes by our beds after it ...just in case)...building are not supposed to sway that much...esp. in the Middle of the USA!!!!! Your eyes once again have seen things that just must blow the mind away for sure.. to have some fresh snow on the mountains really makes the vistas even more specatular I am sure! BUT...by far the best shots you posted were the ones of you at East meets West and the crew under the arch! Sooo happy for you all and geeez...what a great trip for you! It is rather huge, and mundane through the middle of the country at many points and for great distances--but to know that such natural space exists and so much fresh air can get recharged somewhere...it is a perk to a trip like this. It is great to be able to grasp the magnitude of our country and revel in the fact that it is not all built up and overpopulated everywhere. Just saw a "push" for Copper Mountain on Jettsetter recently...the pictures they have of the area and resort just do not seem real! Impressed you had the strength to not ski:) So glad all is well and life is good! November keeps on coming! Weather here in the east is nice...taking its time settling into fall! Best wishes and continued safe travels!
8th November 2011

Great info, great photos, looks like you had lots and lots of fun (Baby Owl too!). Great job!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb