Day 18 -


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We went to Kirtland, OH to the Kirtland Temple and toured the Historical Church Site. While there it rained, thundered, and lightening and we were outside with unbrellas it sure made me feel like I needed to run, but I had no where to run. So I stood there and took the storm with everyone else.

It was beautiful, and learned what an ashery was, and saw a working lumber mill and old historical buildings. Inside the buildings they had candles lit and with the darkness outside it gave the inside an authentic feel and look. It was a very peaceful and quiet place to visit and learn much about that time period.

We traveled all the way to Indianapolis, IN and stayed the Night with a friend of mine that moved here 2 yrs ago. On the last 3 hrs of traveling we hit another terrible rainstorm. It wasn’t as bad as Oklahoma, but it did slow traffic down to 40 mph.

-Heidi


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

StreamStream
Stream

Here is the stream next to the Whitney Store just as the storm started. Look for the after picture to see how much it rained, thundered the crazy lightening we had endured.
Whitney StoreWhitney Store
Whitney Store

Here is where N.K. Whitney meet Joseph Smith, the front door and Counters are all origional from that day.
Lamps used at the timeLamps used at the time
Lamps used at the time

There is Rylan looking at the lamps as the tour person was telling us that they are made by punching the holes from the inside out so that the air cannot put out the candle. Neat.
The Shoes in this pictureThe Shoes in this picture
The Shoes in this picture

back then were not right and left. The tour person said that when one shoe started to wear out they would just switch the shoes so they would wear evenly. I bet they hurt the feet.
School of the ProphetsSchool of the Prophets
School of the Prophets

Here is where God and Christ appeared to the 12 men and Joseph Smith. That is 13 men and witnessed God and Christ, think that many men can conscionsely lie about something like that, back in that day and age?
BedsBeds
Beds

The beds were made of ticking and the mattresses laid on rope. when the bed needed firming they would tighten the ropes.
The RainThe Rain
The Rain

was so hard that it washed away bark.
Blankets were stored inBlankets were stored in
Blankets were stored in

the cabinet above the fire place, and all they did was get one before bed to have a warm bed. The dryer rack was how they dried the herbs and food.
Lumber MillLumber Mill
Lumber Mill

still is used today.
Julia loved the UmberellaJulia loved the Umberella
Julia loved the Umberella

Here is the inside of the mill, very simple. The saw was run by the water wheel.
Water WheelWater Wheel
Water Wheel

This wheel has a stream behind it, but they only allow one inch of water through at a time, that is all that is needed to run the mill, one inch of water.
AsheryAshery
Ashery

There are many uses of an ashery, like lye soap and chemicals that they could produce to make all kinds of products from textiles to home production.
Stream AfterStream After
Stream After

It filled up fast with the storm, same stream as the before picture.
Kirtland Temple SignKirtland Temple Sign
Kirtland Temple Sign

Here is where we learned that the reorganized LDS Church renamed themselves the Community of Christ. They now own the Kirtland Temple.
Heidi's FlowersHeidi's Flowers
Heidi's Flowers

I took many pictures of Flowers and they were hard to pick from.


12th June 2010

Thank you for the inspiring pictures.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb