On to Indiana


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South Bend, IN from Cincinnati

We passed by Kokomo on the way. I like that name.

Roebling MuralsRoebling MuralsRoebling Murals

We love art and this is some of the best wall murals we have ever seen. They were a history of the region with each panel labeled with the year portrayed. There must be 25 or 30 panels.
Well, it is now Thursday and we are still rolling. We got up this morning in Covington, Kentucky, across the Ohio from Cincinnati. A friend, Debbie Ballew, recommended that we tour the Roebling Murals before departing. We are happy that we did. Very creative and informative. They are located close to where we were staying and never knew as we drove by that they were there.

After this tour, we headed north towards Indianapolis. The roads were good and the landscape interesting. This is a rural state. We have never seen so much cultivated landscape. It is clear that only now have they been plowed and ready for planting. Much different in South Georgia. As we moved north from Ohio the land flattened out.

We searched on-line for something to see in Indianapolis and found the "Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum." So, we plugged that in our GPS and drove into the city. We were impressed with the neatness of all we saw. Once we arrived at the Museum we parked, paid $1.00 for an hour on the parking meter and went inside. Soon, we discovered that this was not the Civil War museum at all. It was
Roebling MuralsRoebling MuralsRoebling Murals

Jackie loved this triple panel.
the Indiana War Memorial Museum, part of the Veterans Memorial Plaza. On the opposite end of the plaza is the American Legion National Headquarters. In the mall is a beautiful obelisk and fountain.

This building was built starting in 1927 when General John Pershing laid the cornerstone on July 4, 1927. It has an enormous amount of war material of all sorts in separate areas in the lower floor of the building with each for war beginning with the Revolutionary War. The building itself was impressive. It's design is based upon the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, which was one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I haven't see the original but doubt it could be better than this.

After returning to our car, we looked ahead a couple of blocks and saw our original target, the Civil War museum. We were now tired and decided to pass on that stop and head north towards South Bend.

As we traveled we heard on the news that President Trump was scheduled to attend a political rally in South Bend! What the heck, that's just where we were headed. The doors of the event were to open at 4:00pm and Trump's speech at 7:00pm. We expected to arrive at our hotel about 4:00pm. So, we decided to first check in and then drive over to join the fun. Only, we discovered at check-in that the location was in Elkhart, Indiana about 15 miles north. So, we hurried out to see if we could get in. We got there about 5:45pm the crowds were everywhere and headed towards the venue. We parked and walked 9/10s of a mile along with hundreds. We began to see many people headed in the opposite direction and asked if they were not able to get in. No way, we were told. But we went all the way just to see the crowds.

After speaking with many of the Trump fans outside the arena, we walked back to the car with the intentions to get back to the hotel in time to listen to his speech on TV. As we drove back we entered a bridge over a highway toll road. We noticed that police were posted on either side of the bridge. That's when we thought, that could be the Trump motorcade to the event and sure enough just below us there they were. I waved and blew my horn. I'm sure that he waved back but the cop was yelling at me to keep moving so I missed his response.

Both Jackie and I have Fitbit wristbands that track our steps. Today was the third time that we have hit 10,000+ steps on our trip. And we are happy with that. Our goal is to weight no more when we return than when we departed. The exercise helps.

We have been so lucky with the weather but see a rain forecast for tomorrow. So, our trip to Holland, Michigan could be a bit sloppy. They are having their annual tulip festival and we hope that there is a break long enough for us to enjoy.

One last comment, we are on a "ROAD TRIP." So, most of our time is in the car and watching the countryside. I won't likely write too much about that part of our journey. But it has really been enjoyable so far and my new car, Acura RDX, has been just fine. We are averaging over 26 MPG and making good time. I'm happy with all that.

Until next time, good night.

Tom


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Indiana World War MemorialIndiana World War Memorial
Indiana World War Memorial

This was so impressive. You need to see this museum.
Indiana World War MemorialIndiana World War Memorial
Indiana World War Memorial

There were several scenes like this with lifelike characters throughout the museum.
Indiana World War MemorialIndiana World War Memorial
Indiana World War Memorial

Each area had so many authentic items. Flags, weapons, letters and other documents.
Indiana World War MemorialIndiana World War Memorial
Indiana World War Memorial

Here is a helicopter from the Viet Nam war. Only one of many large vehicles and airplanes.
Indiana World War MemorialIndiana World War Memorial
Indiana World War Memorial

Just when you think it could not get any better, you take a long walk upstairs to the Shrine Room. Stunning beauty.
Col Eli Lilly Civil War MuseumCol Eli Lilly Civil War Museum
Col Eli Lilly Civil War Museum

This is the "Soldiers & Sailors" Monument.
President Trump Campaign RallyPresident Trump Campaign Rally
President Trump Campaign Rally

Elkhart, Indiana rally was full of patriots, not deplorables.
President Trump Campaign RallyPresident Trump Campaign Rally
President Trump Campaign Rally

Gymnasium had a 10,000 capacity and opened doors at 4:00pm. It was filled by 5:00pm. We think there were more than 10,000 outside waiting.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb