It's Real Now


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana » Columbus
February 6th 2015
Published: February 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It's hard to believe our trip is almost here! We have waited years for this bucket list trip to New Zealand. I remember planning it out for the first time in the Fall of 2011. We had recently moved to Indiana to take care of Aaron's two grandmothers. It was a bit of a sad time, moving away from the home and the friends we loved in California, and we needed something to look forward to. We were so excited about the possibility of going to New Zealand in early 2012. It didn't take long, though, for it to become apparent that a nearly month-long trip to the other side of the world wasn't a good idea considering the health status of the grannies. Don't get me wrong, we have traveled since then to some amazing places...Alaska, Costa Rica, Aruba, and back to California a few times. We loved all of those trips and are so glad we were able to visit those beautiful and diverse places. We just had to make sure during those times that we were within a reasonable distance of home...namely not in the wrong hemisphere and literally an ocean away.

Fast forward to September 2014. The year 2014 had been a really difficult one by that time. Both grandmothers had passed away that year, and I'll spare you the details of the many other challenges we faced in 2014. Let's just say we learned through those many struggles that life is short and goes by quickly, good health is something to be treasured, good relationships with the right employer are a gift, health insurance is essential, and the two of us can get through anything as long as we stick together. We are so thankful for our friends, coworkers, and family members who helped hold us up through trying times. We also decided that we need to go see the far flung places we want to see and do the things we want to do while we are young (enough) and have the energy (enough) to do them. And we decided we want to focus on US! Finally. Just. Us. So, we booked a 24 day trip to New Zealand.

This week I have been packing like crazy. I can't believe we are leaving so soon. Yikes! I have to work 7am-7pm Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then we get on a plane at 8am Thursday to fly to San Francisco. We will spend a few days in Vacaville at our home there before we fly out of San Francisco bound for Auckland on Saturday night. I just can't believe it! So, this weekend will be busy getting ready to go since I really won't have time after that before we leave. It's weird to think we won't be home in Indiana then until the middle of March. Hopefully by that time the weather will be warming up and things will be greener and cheerier than they are now.

I hope this blog turns out to be a good way to share pictures and stories from our trip. I really started it as a travel journal for myself and Aaron, but if you are interested in following our journeys, please do! Who knows where we will go next! Sorry, Mom...but hopefully Africa. :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb