Kaskaskia River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
September 4th 2015
Published: September 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yes we keep hopping from Illinois to Misouri because the Mississippi devides the two.

A short day on the water today to reach Kaskaskia lock. We don't actually lock through this but only tie up to the wall to get away from the 4 knot current on the Mississippi. Few places to fuel up, anchor or marinas in this section. The current is strong, the debris of logs and sticks is challenging and the tow and barge traffic is heavy. They churn up the water and make some fair size chop.

The weather continues to be very hot with barely a breeze. We put the dinghy in the water this morning and went for a nice ride up the Meramec River where we anchored last night. We stopped at Hoppies to fuel up and to get information in the upcoming challenges on the Ohio River. This lady has barges that you can tie up to and it is the last fuel stop for the next 270 miles. A must stop for most boats. Fran gives Loopers seminars about the hazards on the river system to Mobile Alabama. We stopped here last time and took the seminar, she simply told us what to expect this time as we fuelled up.

There is construction at the lock on the Ohio and you have to call ahead to sign up for an escort through lock 53. There is one chamber down at lock 52 so the traffic is heavy and we are to expect long delays. Oh well such is life on the river. The water is low so some of our anticipated anchorages may be tricky. We will find a place we always do, no worries.

We took the dinghy adore here at the lock. They have made a very inexpensive trailer park and we stopped by to have a beer with a camping couple. Very friendly folks, they love my Canafian accent but Jerry doesn't have one. Imagine that! There was a nice nature trail that led into the forest, nice to hide from the blistering sun.

We have a long day tomorrow to reCh what we think will be a fine anchorage, we will see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Flood water markFlood water mark
Flood water mark

The flood waters are more than ten feet high on the nature trail
HoppiesHoppies
Hoppies

Fran is ancient and runs this Marina which is really old barges that you tie to...neat place


Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb