Starved Rock


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Utica
August 3rd 2014
Published: August 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Picnic at Starved RockPicnic at Starved RockPicnic at Starved Rock

We picked up some McDonald's breakfast sandwiches on the road and had a picnic at Starved Rock.
After the first stretch of the drive home from the Indiana Dunes, we wanted to find a place to eat and let the kids run around. We chose to stop at Starved Rock State Park in north central Illinois. We stopped in Ottawa to pick up something to eat (McDonald's breakfast sandwiches) and then drove to the park. Admission was free, but most of the hiking trails were closed (someone said it was due to high winds, but I don't know if that's true). Oliver picked out a tree for us to picnic under since all of the picnic tables were taken. The place was seriously jumping!

We ate our picnic and watched some folks play soccer. Then, we wandered into the visitor's center where we learned some of the history of the area. There were about half a dozen people working the information desk at the visitor's center, and they were all busy! Someone helped me with a map and directions and assured me the kids should be able to make the short hike up to the top of Starved Rock (he was right; they did!). There was a box for donations, too, with a sign that asked for $1. I didn't have any cash on me, but we had such a positive experience with their facilities that I would have donated if I had anything to donate.

The hiking path was all paved, and the incline up Starved Rock has been fitted with wide stairs. At the top is a large observation deck with stunning views of the Illinois River. From one side, we could see an island in the river, and a sign explained that the native Illinois people lived on the island for a long time. Legend has it that an Illini warrior killed the chief of another tribe, and the Illini people were chased up to the top of what is now called Starved Rock. Their enemies occupied the base until the last of the Illini starved to death. So, the history (or at least, the legend) is ugly, but the scenery is breathtaking. Plus, at 0.3 miles from the visitor's center, it's hike-able even with little kids! We didn't opt to do any of the hikes into canyons, but they are supposed to also be stunning, and some have waterfalls.

Starved Rock is a good stop to make just off of I-80 if you're looking to really get out of the car to stretch and look around. I think we spent a little over an hour there, and we could have easily spent more time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb