Lincoln land


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Side trip to Grafton


Theis town has a slight obsession with Abraham Lincoln, the bearded president with a hat. Statues abound and there is also the Lincoln presidential library museum to view, inclusive of incredibly patriotic, some may say cheesy films.

Reading between the lines, he sounds like a politician, all be it a very charismatic one!

Anyway, his (apparently somewhat dubious) role inabolishing slavery and uniting the nation afforded him a rather grand memorial. He now rests below several feet of concrete and according to the tour guide his embalmed body looks rather same as the day he died and will do so for at least 300 more years?

Having dutifully taken in some history and culture we pressed on to Grafton, a small town on the banks of the Mississippi.

Forgot to mention it was a day of firsts. First Twinkie, first catfish dinner, first turtle meat and first corndog. Yum yum!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Licoln's familyLicoln's family
Licoln's family

Posing in the museum!
CorndogsCorndogs
Corndogs

From the home of corndog, the Cozy Dog Drive In, Springfield, Illinois.
Twinkles!Twinkles!
Twinkles!

A must on the American fod list!
Dinner company.Dinner company.
Dinner company.

Eating catfish whilst surrounded by aquariums felt a little wrong.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb