Chicago Explored


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
June 22nd 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8861, -87.6364

After a 13 hour sleep, we woke ready for a day of exploring. So we got dressed and ventured back into Chicago, however firstly our tummies needed feeding. We quickly stumbled across a restaurant which tempted our appeites. Nicky had some delicious french toast with strawberries, whilst Simon had a more traditional stack of pancakes with blueberries.

Now we were fed and watered we were ready to explore. We started at the bottom of a road called 'The Magneficent Mile' which was Nicky's idea of heaven - a mile of pure shopping! As we crossed the Michegan Avenue bridge we stopped to admire the fantastic Trump tower which was huge and very impressive. A pitstop was needed to board a river architecture cruise - this was to take us round to the waterways to take in the various skyscrapers. They were defintley a fete to enjoy and were all places not to live if you have vertigo!

After the river cruise we continued walking up the shopping mile - taking plenty of time to window shop of course. At the end of the mile there was a surprising treat which was a beach on the shore of Lake Michegan. This was packed full of people enjoying the sun and playing volleyball. However as we forgot to pack our buckets and spades we ventured onwards.

The time had then come to make our way to Wrigley Field for afternoon of watching baseball. Todays game was Chicago Cubs v Houston Astros. We took our seats at the rear of the backstop and started enjoying it. The game was very close and all came down to the final innings. But unfortutnley for us and about 38000 others the game swung in the favour of the away team and the game ended 3-4.

After the thrill of the game we then had the ardious task of trying to make it back into the city along with all the fans. Having survived this we decided to visit the Navy Pier which is an entertainment complex on a pier into Lake Michegan. This was full of various resturants and games. After a quick bite to eat we made our way to the 60ft ferris wheel which was a beautiful way to have panaromic views across the skyline of Chicago.

We then discovered that there was going to be some fireworks at 10:15pm so we scurried across town to the John Hancock Tower to watch the fireworks and for a panaromic night time view of the beautiful city from the 93rd floor. Once up there the views were breathtaking, you could see for miles, and we had front row seats for the fireworks!

After this we were starting to flag after a long day exploring so we headed back to the hotel, not before stopping our for a slice of amazing snicker cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1019.2kb