Hello, Chicago!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
June 5th 2017
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well, we had the Cook's tour of Oak Park after arriving in Chicago last night. Suffice to say that we had no technology, therefore no maps when we pulled out of the Hertz rental car place, so I had to follow my nose and a very sketchy Chicago overview to try to get to my friend Julie's place in Oak Park. Oak Park was no problem, but two hours later I was still searching for Home Avenue. Note to self: Screen shot the route on phone before leaving Australia next time. Luckily, Hugo spied a T-mobile shop and we quickly bought a US Sim - just not in time to make it to Thomas' graduation dinner but all good for a celebratory champagne! The funniest part of the night was getting home and suggesting that Hugo go to sleep (It had been about 30 hours since he was last in bed and he slept a total of 3 on the plane) "I'm not tired!" he said. The next minute I turned around and he was sprawled across the bed, unconscious. It was lovely to sleep-in this morning. We emerged feeling much brighter and Julie took us for brunch in Chinatown then on a tour of Chicago's Magnificent Mile. Much to Hugo's delight, we passed a Dylan's Candy Store and the multi-storey Under Armour shop - his birthday money is definitely burning a hole in his pocket! On Nic Volpe's recommendation, we looked at our reflections in the famous 'Bean' sculpture in Millenium Park, and wandered through the gardens. There is a fantastic playground for kids there with all sorts of play equipment and a rock-climbing wall. I got a bit of a shock entering the rest rooms though, where a sign on the door advised me that my gun was not welcome! Luckily I haven't owned a gun since I was given a potato gun for my 9th birthday, so all was good. The revelation of the day was discovering Cold Rock ice-cream after dinner. We wandered through Oak Park past the retro Lake Cinema and under the famous 'L' train line to the Cold Rock shop where I had a hard time deciding what to order. Who knew that coffee ice-cream with peanut butter, crushed oreos and chocolate fudge could be so delicious? They mix it all together on a frozen marble slab and then pile it into an enormous waffle cone. Heaven.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



16th June 2017

SMILE!!!
Hugo - your smile is getting bigger and bigger...good to see and enjoy your trip
20th June 2017

We miss you!
Hi Lisa and Hugo, glad all is going well! I love the sound of the Cold Rock ice cream minus the peanut butter of course!!
21st June 2017

So much to tell you
Hi Sarah, we miss you, too. Yes, the ice-cream was GOOD! Always helps when it's really hot. Hope you and Leila are getting excited about France! xxx

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb